• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I keep a window maximized on only one monitor on dual monitor config?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
When I move an app for watching DVDs to one monitor and maximize it, it stays maximized no matter what I do on the other monitor.

But if I maximize Adobe Flash Player inside a browser - it won't stay in full screen mode if I do anything on the other monitor.

Any way to lock it maximized on just the one monitor?

EDIT: Yes sir:

I tested this on both Windows 7 and Windows XP using latest Adobe Flash Player 10.1.85.3:
http://www.jmaxxz.com/downloads/FlashHacker.zip

I started The Daily Show to make sure everything was working initially.

Only after starting the show once, I closed everything. Started Flash Hacker > Hack My Flash! > Exited Flash Hacker.

Now I can play things on one monitor full screen and even use Firefox on another monitor and it won't affect the full screen flash on the other.

Fantastic. :D Adobe should have this option native.

Last edited:
But if I maximize say, a browser it won't stay in full screen mode if I do anything on the other monitor.
Are you talking about full-screen flash video?

Flash only does fullscreen when in focus, for security reasons of some kind or another (have no idea). IIRC, there were hacked older versions of flash that allowed this.

I think there may be Firefox add-ons that would enable full screen Firefox lock.

Question is, can it be locked on one monitor and used regular on the other? Perhaps using different user or version of Firefox on different monitors?

Whoops, I got confused by your mentioning of DVD player, so I jumped to flash video when you talked about a browser.

Anyway, I don't believe I've experienced this issue myself - maximized windows (browsers, explorer windows, other software, etc) on my second monitor stay maximized :confused:

I know what you mean, watching Hulu on my tv (second monitor) is no fun while doing somthing else,, not only that in WMP i can set the audio to output on my tv seperate from everything else but not with any browsers.

To clarify, are you talking about video playback in a browser not staying fullscreen, or the browser itself not staying fullscreen?

I've never seen the latter myself, so I have no idea.
If the former, there's realistically nothing you can do, since Flash is purposefully programmed to not stay fullscreen when it loses focus (don't know about HTML5 video or Silverlight, etc).

I want the Daily Show [played in flash] to stay in full screen on one monitor while I browse on the other monitor.

Which program is he using to modify C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll

I tested this on both Windows 7 and Windows XP using latest Adobe Flash Player 10.1.85.3:
http://www.jmaxxz.com/downloads/FlashHacker.zip

I started The Daily Show to make sure everything was working initially.

Only after starting the show once, I closed everything. Started Flash Hacker > Hack My Flash! > Exited Flash Hacker.

Now I can play things on one monitor full screen and even use Firefox on another monitor and it won't affect the full screen flash on the other.

Fantastic. :D Adobe should have this option native.

awesome, this bugged me for quite some time, but apparently not enough to look for a solution. thanks for doing the dirty work hehe :)

:thup:

I wasn't too clear on how to manually hex edit the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll file (someone should post a step by step on that) but I guess why bother when that little prog that does it for you is already made. I hope it works on future versions.

Last edited:
I wasn't too clear on how to manually hex edit the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll file (someone should post a step by step on that) but I guess why bother when that little prog that does it for you is already made.
The FlashHacker.exe program does not seem to function for me. I tried it on multiple versions of Windows XP Professional.

I have installed many of the typical runtimes except for the Microsoft .NET Framework(s) (which I am not willing to install).

I receive the following error:

Attachments

• error.gif
    error.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,076
If your version of flash is 10.1.85.3 and you closed all applications and followed instructions from post #1 about how to do it, then this is specific to your system because most of us can get it to work.

If you (or anyone) figures out how to manually do it, please post clear step by step instructions.

If FlashHacker doesn't work on any future versions, we may not update Flash unless we know how to edit it manually then :)

If your version of flash is 10.1.85.3 and you closed all applications and followed instructions from post #1 about how to do it, then this is specific to your system because most of us can get it to work.
After examining the FlashHacker.exe file, I have determined that the FlashHacker software depends on the .NET Framework. The software documentation does not indicate the dependency.

Adobe Flash Player does not require the .NET Framework. It is my opinion that for what the FlashHacker software does, it is unreasonable to install the .NET Framework. One would spend more time installing the .NET Framework, patching the Flash Player file(s), uninstalling the .NET Framework, and removing of .NET Framework data that failed to uninstall, than manually modifying the full screen behavior.

I tried to avoid .net myself for as long as I could but multiple programs I need started requiring it so I had to give in.

Well hey then, figure out how to manually do it then post back :D It shouldn't be hard with a hex editor but posting detailed how to is what we need.

Well hey then, figure out how to manually do it then post back :D It shouldn't be hard with a hex editor but posting detailed how to is what we need.
I do not believe that a manual modification would be difficult. A script may be made to automate the process.

I might do it if I can justify taking the time for it. At the moment, it does not look like it would be soon.

Back