• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can I stop fans for a certain time using a software inside windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william_90

Registered
my cooler works with gas but i mounted 2 fans around it and i dont need them spin during night when im downloading, the cpu is really idle 0% load

i've downloaded Speedfan but it does nothing maybe just lower the revolution rate

both of cpu fans are connected to motherboard

What fans are you trying to stop?

Most controllers on the board will not go down to 0% voltage, so you will not likely be able to do this through software without additional hardware components.

Speedfan is really outdated. Have you looked at the fans if PWM and if your mobo can slow them down? Mobo software or the bios? Like Thiddy said you can't make them go to zero, but you should be able to slow them enough where they are silent.

Hardware, a USB controlled fan controller with programmable software is not cheap. Think $100+ Koolance, Umm umm, I forget the other brand. There is another, it's pretty dead and no product support. Look at Performance PC's, think they show what's out there..

I'm using haf932, it has 3 big fans top, bottom and front, i've 5 port for sys/cpu fan on MB
i though its a simple task, just stop the fans, why there's no software for that?
i set all features for cpu that i have -65.9% downclock when idle but thats not enough
i really dont need them during night, my cooler works with gas, it can continue without any airflow
do you think is it possible to stop them?

i though its a simple task, just stop the fans, why there's no software for that?
The software can't add features to hardware. If the hardware is designed only to go down to a certain voltage, it will only go down to that voltage, no matter what software you use.

However, I wouldn't be disabling all the fans. Even if you are underclocking the system severely and it is sitting at 0% CPU usage (it really isn't), the processor and other components are still producing heat. That heat needs to be dissipated. The system will likely be fine for awhile without any air movement, but leaving it off for an extended period of time will likely cause it to overheat and shut down.

If you just want the option to stop the fans, add an Arduino and some NPN MOSFETs on the fans.
Then you can write a program that'll stop the fans when you ask it to.
Of course, you run the risk of the thing frying then. I wouldn't turn the fans off.

so there isn't any program for that, i hope someday someone do it, its really needed
i donno if u guys heard of Z600 cooler, its old, i think 2005~6, i haven't seen anything like it by now, it doesn't need fan, u mount it on cpu and u're done, if u went into overclocking then u need to mount 1 or 2 fans on it, so when i'm idle (e.g,the whole night) i can have all fans ceased, (just like my old rig)
and it seems my need here to such program is unique, nobody has it before
tnx everyone

so there isn't any program for that, i hope someday someone do it, its really needed
You can't make hardware do something it isn't designed to do through software. If the voltage can't go that low, no software will be able to do that.

Hardware, a USB controlled fan controller with programmable software is not cheap. Think $100+ Koolance, Umm umm, I forget the other brand. There is another, it's pretty dead and no product support. Look at Performance PC's, think they show what's out there..

Lamptron? Or somebody else?

Despite being an old program, SpeedFan still does some magic. :thup:

• "IF" you're sure that your mobo's super IO chipset is supported
  • "AND" you are using a PWM fan (fan with 4 wires)
  • "AND" your PWM fan capable of stopping at 0% duty cycle (not all PWM fan have this capability)
  • "AND" the fan header which you your fans are connected is "CONTROLLABLE" by SpeedFan (some mobo disable this features intentionally by hardware :mad: )
... then its possible. :clap:

Example of the SpeedFan advanced fan control screen below, those dots in the chart are manually drawn as you like base on the temperature reading at the left column which can be anything from your cpu temp, mobo temp, gpu temp and etc "AS LONG" its readable "AND" controllable.

SpeedFan Advanced Speed Control.png

Good luck with your quest and hope this helps.

Back