• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should be stable/safe Intel i7 4790k temperatures & what are the OH temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oblivious7

What should be stable/safe Intel i7 4790k temperatures & what are the OH temps?

Hello,

PC Specs:
Windows 10
Intel i7-4790k @4.00mhz, 4 cores
16GB Ram
980TI
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Corsair RM1000 PSU

New user here so please bear with me as this may probably seem slightly obvious to you once start reading! Placed the below circumstances in spoilers in case it's too lengthy. I have a very basic understanding of PC's but when it comes to building them and whatnot I'm rather clueless so I consider myself knowing next to nothing.

Had my PC for around 4 years now and I can't remember when but whenever I was playing games, and nothing else, my PC would suddenly freeze up with the sound looping requring a full restart. I had this here and there when I had a 780ti but when I switched for a 980ti the problem still reared its head. I contacted my supplier last year and they suggested a profile change on the mobo which seemed to sort it for a short period but the problem eventually returned. I'd done their tests - and I thought I'd done appropriate CPU checks but going by todays results, apparently not - so I wasn't sure whether it was still the GPU for some random reason, the PSU, the CPU or the RAM despite all checking out. Further to that the GFX card stress test never resulted in a PC shut down like I had in games. Either way I wasn't actually told what may be the cause as the profile solved the issue and it was left at that and due to my previous experience with PC's in the past, vastly different to this one, if my PC overheated/shut down I assumed it was either the GFX card or the PSU, but never ever considered the CPU. Anyways, I decided just to get on with it as the problem didn't happen all the time until 'recently' where I've noticed the freezing kept occuring with SW Battlefront 2 (2017). It was only ever on the game menus be it loading up the game for the first time or even after a previous crash, just on the starting menu or some other menu elsewhere with seemingly nothing happening on my screen. It never ever happened when I was running around in-game with all the intensive stuff taking place which I'd thought would be causing shutdowns, so I just didn't get it. When examining a recent bug thread for BF2 one mentioned how the game forces some people's CPUs to run at 100% when in the menus which then caused me to finally consider it was definitely the CPU overheating. I had also noticed that when my room was exceptionally cool at night I would hardly have any shutdowns but during the day when the heating was on (it's very hot due to drafty construction works taking place throughout the house) they were far more frequent, also suggesting it wasn't a W10/software issue, but again I wondered whether it was the graphics card

Long and short of it is that I keep crashing in certain games and in one specific game when nothing particularly intensive should be going on with initial tests not suggesting much. As a result I've finally done some CPU tests, as the previous ones were quite a while ago and presumably I did them wrong and I know what I'm looking for now. The results were that when I did stress testing with Prime95 my PC very quickly shut itself down after around 5 minutes. I did a check with OCCT program too and the some of the CPU (cores?) reached temperatures of 90 in under a minute or so. I suppose it's rather obvious but the the graph and numbers slightly confuse me as it's a load of information, making me think 'What does this all mean?!'. So I'm going to post the results and just ask, does it immediately suggest that the CPU is overheating and is it at an alarming rate? What temperatures should it actually be at when doing these stress tests? Asking this as part of me thought if you're doing a stress test shouldn't it be pushing the limits of your CPU anyways and increasing the temperature? However, I guess that that should be happening but not so quickly.

I should also probably shamefully add that the CPU is watercooled but being my typical self, I haven't replaced the liquid since I bought the PC which is around 3-4 years ago so I suppose that's something rather key and bad. Part of me imagines my CPU is possibly destroyed by now due to the neglect. On the flipside I'm hoping if that isn't the case a clean of my essential PC parts, fans and then a refill of the liquid should ultimately solve the issue? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I didn't think I would reach a point of my PC parts or my CPU overheating like this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this especially if you respond.

The two tests I carried out with OCCT/HW have been placed into imgur album's. The graphs are from OCCT. I'm assuming the other components like the GFX card are fine.

Last edited:
It does sound like a cpu issue of it is shutting down from P95. Is the motherboard set to default values or have you modified bios settings?

As for the cooling loop, yes it is definitely due for a cleaning. You could have buildup in the components that are causing a blockage and reduced flow rate. I would recommend a full tear down at this point and flush the radiator then disassemble the cpu block and pump for cleaning if possible.

It does sound like a cpu issue of it is shutting down from P95. Is the motherboard set to default values or have you modified bios settings?

As for the cooling loop, yes it is definitely due for a cleaning. You could have buildup in the components that are causing a blockage and reduced flow rate. I would recommend a full tear down at this point and flush the radiator then disassemble the cpu block and pump for cleaning if possible.

Not sure. How would go about checking that or would it be a googling thing?

I did update the bios a while ago, provided I did it correctly, if I did that would it overwrite custom settings if there were any or keep them? I wonder if the profile I had to set the mobo to as advised by the supplier was the settings and if so, believe I set that to default.

As for the cleaning, hopefully it's as simple as it sounds.

Is it an All in one water cooler such as a Corsair H150 or a custom loop? If it's custom you're definitely going to want to tear the Cpu block apart and clean it as well as drain the loop and refill it with Distilled water and some sort of Biocide.

I agree sounds like it is shutting down from heat . I would assume your chip will be fine once you fix the over heating issue .

Can you take a pic with the side panel off and post it for us ?
It might be as simple as the Heatsink isnt on tight. Or the pump could have died ( need new cooling system if that is the problem) .

Is it an All in one water cooler such as a Corsair H150 or a custom loop? If it's custom you're definitely going to want to tear the Cpu block apart and clean it as well as drain the loop and refill it with Distilled water and some sort of Biocide.

I agree sounds like it is shutting down from heat . I would assume your chip will be fine once you fix the over heating issue .

Can you take a pic with the side panel off and post it for us ?
It might be as simple as the Heatsink isnt on tight. Or the pump could have died ( need new cooling system if that is the problem) .
Don't think it's a custom loop but again I wouldn't actually know (PC was built for me), only thing is that it looks set up as in one of the videos I've seen showing off the case. Here's a picture with the side panel off.

Never realized how dirty the inside of my PC was until I finally did this and had an actual look around. When doing this I've also noticed the radiator for the cooling system/fans at the top is filled with dust, certainly doesn't help. It's rather bad, though I think the picture/torch makes it look worse :eek:

But yeah it's looking like it's gonna be needing a proper clean along with the cooling system. But for the future what temperature should my CPU be at during these stress tests? I'm assuming it shouldn't be reaching levels of 85+ that quickly.

Last edited:
That is an AIO unit, which shouldn't be taken apart. A proper cleaning is in order, get a can or two of Air duster and clean all the dust out the best you can. That said from what I've read, you've been having this issue since the Pc is new?

That is an AIO unit, which shouldn't be taken apart. A proper cleaning is in order, get a can or two of Air duster and clean all the dust out the best you can. That said from what I've read, you've been having this issue since the Pc is new?

Thankfully no, not sure when it first happened but it definitely slowly started to pop up a reasonable time afterwards, but I can't say when especially as I think the update from W8 to W10 likely erased past error logs. At first it was exceptionally rare and then it became more frequent depending on the game. Now, with BF2, it happens pretty much every day unless I'm playing when my room isn't boiling and then it's much rarer. Due to all this recent information where it looks like the cause is pinned down I'm hoping that once I've cleaned it, flushed the radiator as suggested (which is where the two fans above are clogged with dirt, but not touching the CPU part as you said) and re-filled it, the issue will go away. If it doesn't or mostly does, as least I've eliminated one possibility for the time being and search for another cause.

Just an FYI those AIO water coolers are not made to be taken apart and flushed. The suggestion was made if you had a custom water cooling loop. It can be done but it takes some skill and patience to do it correctly.

Just an FYI those AIO water coolers are not made to be taken apart and flushed. The suggestion was made if you had a custom water cooling loop. It can be done but it takes some skill and patience to do it correctly.

Yeah I definitely wasn't going to touch that after your comment, but what about the radiator its connected to above? Am I fine with flushing that or should I just be refilling and leaving it at that.

Yeah I definitely wasn't going to touch that after your comment, but what about the radiator its connected to above? Am I fine with flushing that or should I just be refilling and leaving it at that.

The radiator is still part of the aio assembly. As Mandrake said they are not designed to come apart but that does not mean that you can't. Check out youtube, there is at least a couple videos on there about dissassembaling one. I would watch those and then decide if you want to attempt it.

it's a heat, issue for sure.
I'd just get a new cooler, it'll be worth the $100 or so.
I would not worry to much about the processor, what I've doe to mine, the 4790K is tough.
you report it's shutting down, not blue screening, that's heat going by the reported temp of 90c real quick.

The radiator is still part of the aio assembly. As Mandrake said they are not designed to come apart but that does not mean that you can't. Check out youtube, there is at least a couple videos on there about dissassembaling one. I would watch those and then decide if you want to attempt it.
Ah, okay. Glad that was pointed out in the end, thanks.

it's a heat, issue for sure.
I'd just get a new cooler, it'll be worth the $100 or so.
I would not worry to much about the processor, what I've doe to mine, the 4790K is tough.
you report it's shutting down, not blue screening, that's heat going by the reported temp of 90c real quick.

Fair enough!

Well I'll see if I can get rid of all the dust at least before considering grabbing a new one, which does sound so much easier.

If you only plan on running stock clocks to a mild overclock a good Air heatsink should be sufficient.

but, but, manny, water cooling looks so much cooler in there, unless, of course you find something like a coolermaster v10.........

but, but, manny, water cooling looks so much cooler in there, unless, of course you find something like a coolermaster v10.........

Oh god don't even put that suggestion out there as far as the V10. Water is nice but for me it's go custom loop or go Air, for most people Air is all they need.

uuugggg, yes you are very right, but coolness, like sli, it's pretty much moot but..... coolness.

I have a 4670k that has had over the suggested max voltage for years. They are tougher then you think if you keep the temps in line. I'm tempted to pick one up from what I have seen they oc a bit better than the 4770k .

I would aim for 4.5-5ghz cooling depending.

So just a quick update as it's been a while. Ended up buying a decent air blower and there was a ton of dust in the radiator above the fans, like a serious lot. Cleaned whatever other fans I could and the rest of the PC. Computer makes less noise, is cooler all around and so far, touch wood, I haven't experienced the freezes.

Thanks for the help people.

Back