• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can we redirect energy to a different place.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webphut

This was something I replied back to on the following link, but I wanted to start a new thread as I found it very interesting.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...en-if-a-computer-was-run-in-a-complete-vacuum

I know this thread is very old, but I thought there was some great mastermind work going on in this thread.

My thought when I read the OP's question is not, would a computer work in a vacuum?, but what will a computer do differently in a vacuum. I have some, 5 years, hands on experience with Ultra high vacuum experiments from a previous employer.

90% of energy acts differently when under vacuum. This is essentially what heat and sound are, well also light waves, but that is another topic itself. So the real question is how is the energy different in a vacuum vs in atmosphere? How can we capture that energy and redirect it to a different place. There are not too many particles at -7 Torr. -7 Torr is not -11, but for cost efficiency, I think it is a good place to start for adrenaline junky gigabyters.

I think that the most efficient way to cool an entire computer system inside of a vacuum, lets just say -7 Torr, would be to use propane. I originally was thinking to purge the vacuum with nitrogen, but then I got to thinking something even better, cheaper and more readily available. I thought of the frost on the outside of propane bottle when it is very hot outside. It is just an idea. Do not we all love science projects. I mean there was a propane refrigerator, why not some sort of computer Einstein Refrigerator?

Here are better reads on what exactly I was thinking. It is rather old technology, but it could work. There is low pressure from being in vacuum. There is an energy source, the particles energized by the computer components. Anyways take a read and post your comments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

Interesting. Would you look at refrigerating the whole system or building a closed loop cooler for the CPU?

So after some digging on the internet, it turns out there are some experiments already working towards the idea I was thinking about. It looks like somebody got ingenuitive and named the same old wheel “phase converting”. Way Cool! Nice way to upscale a old product. So from the photos I seen, here on OC’s forums, looks like there may have been corrosion on the CPU due to either a leak or electrolysis.

Now going back to my brainstorming, I love to think up chit, my original idea was to just replace mineral oil with nitrogen and then realized it was not practical and so I thought replace mineral oil with propane. I mean it’s a sealed chamber either way. Then I remembered that I am a entrepreneur at heart and with business comes cutting costs. With this in mind, I realized the R&D costs that could be saved just by using some if not most already available cooling systems or parts already available. So with this, probably just using propane or R-290 as a coolant with a small explosion proof circulation pump will suffice. There are great, but not perfected cooling blocks on the internet that you can make direct contact to CPU’s, GPU’s, memory cards, and whatever else creates chaotic energy. None of them have an insulating barrier though. If you can imagine filling a thermos with propane and attaching the base of the thermos to the energy source. This may solve said electrolysis. Run a line too a pump and back to the thermos and viola, you have a start. The hotter the source gets, the larger the temperature difference becomes and then the temperature of the source drops.

There theoretically will only be condensation between the mating surfaces which is where the pc being in a vacuum comes into play. With no oxygen, there should not be any condensation, well once you get the vacuum down to the already mentioned -7 Torr. But this is just all unproven brainstorming chit.

So as for the whole system vs individual items, kind of both. This idea is only if the computer works as desired in a vacuum though. From my experience, things do not happen in vacuum like in an open atmosphere. Two bare mating surfaces for example in a vacuum do not just slide effortlessly across each other. Water in a vacuum does evaporate. BUT it freezes solid and then melts and freezes and rinse and repeat until the particles are busy bodies trying to move their way towards the vacuum pumps. There is no air current in a vacuum, hence the trying. There is no thermal transfer in a vacuum.

Just particles already in motion or at a dead stop.

With this eye sore of bytes and bits, one thing I know of right now in today’s minds that research and develop the computer techy stuff is that in the end, we will be playing WOW on super extreme settings while plugged into our vacuum sealed Casio watch one day. Think about that. The Casio watch already has everything in it to work with the cooling system I am thinking of. No not iPhone, but a Casio watch. Casio is heads and tails ahead of apple in terms of this. iPhones are just now doing what Casio has been doing since the 1970’s.

This just some brain storming chit I do.

But let’s here some peoples experiences with this type of cooling system. I know I will be trying to think more in it.

Last edited:
After some more thought and internet perusing, I found a way to literally move the unwanted energy from a chip to a different location. It is in basic english, a thermoelectric cooler. With this, there may not need to be a vacuum necessary. So remove the thermal paste and put a peltier plate in its place and then some sort of insulator could be attached to the hot side of the peltier plate. The insulator could be macor and just big enough for a propane line to be snugly slip fitted into it. Using an epoxy, they could be fixed to one another. The thing that I am having a hard time understanding though, my idea is as big around as a quarter or a half dollar and about one inch to 1-1/2 inches tall, where as on the forums people are using these really big liquid gas cyclers. Seams overkill, given how much energy is in the liquid gas they appear to be using. It is evident that there is so much energy in some, that the frost creep is just overtaking the motherboards. The frost creep is not good for the longevity of the materials the motherboards are manufactured with. I think the bottleneck in energy transfer is definitely alleviated via peltier plate and possibly even better than a thermal grease. This is just a thought though. Getting closer to start ordering parts for a project it looks like. Exciting!

Last edited:
- "liquid gas"
- "frost creep"
- there is no such thing as "negative Torr"; there are gauges that read in "negative", but those are a relative absolute scale; and not a direct measurement. A scale that would read "-11 torr" would be pretty much no vacuum what so ever.
- "There is no thermal transfer in a vacuum" o_O what?
- "creates chaotic energy"
- "vacuum" then using "propane as a gas" is paradoxical; its sounding like you're trying to say a lack of oxygen is a vacuum, where a lack of pressure (of any sort) is a vacuum.
- peltier coolers still need a thermal transfer medium, as there will still be voids with air in them, reducing heat transfer efficiency (as air is a strong insulator)
- you keep saying "insulator" but im pretty sure you are wanting to say "heat sink"
- condensation has nothing to do with "oxygen", it is the precipitation of liquid from gaseous fluids
- this "freezing and melting" process has to do with a vacuum lowering the latent heat of vaporization for a fluid. The process is called sublimation

You're throwing around a lot of words, but me thinks you really aren't truly understanding what you're trying to say; that or you're not doing a very great job of saying it. This entire process is sounding like you're trying to do a phase change cooler, which already exists in several forms. A DIY homebrew is going to be very difficult, and very expensive for whats at best VERY minimal gains. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you really do need to do more homework on the matter, or get your point across better; as it just sounds absurd the way you're stating things. Good luck with your projects.

So, yeah my lingo is not all up to snuff. I miscommunicated a few things. I will do a 3D model and post some visual aids as to what I have in mind.

I was trying to use a vacuum( -5/-7 torr) to remove the frost or condensation effects we see from using liquid gases. If you can visualize a thermos canteen. -5/-7 torr can be achieved cost efficiently with a turbo pump from eBay. -11 torr, research facility pricing, not household friendly.

I was thinking out of costs reasons, why not use propane. It can be used in a closed loop plumbing system for indoor use. Where as liquid gases, need a burp valve or left open. Not really household friendly.

So the thermoelectric cooler/heater is just a means to get energy removed from cpu, chipsets, memory, to another location. Then the insulator would store the energy until the cooling method is applied. I am thinking a few loops from the propane line wrapped around or ran through the insulator, which would actually lower the speed of the energy in the insulator enough to where it does not matter any more.

Back