• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I install this motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thewalrus

Registered
My chassis only came with two standoffs and, the instructions were very non descriptive(only 2 steps) I looked inside the case and everything looks confusing are the standoffs already installed, do I just screw everything in? what is that bronze colored thing in the middle of the case? Any help is appreciated. There was also only 2 standoffs included with the case.

Picture of inside the chassis.

Motherboard:http://www.microcenter.com/product/382894/970_Extreme3_Socket_AM3_970_ATX_AMD_Motherboard
Case-http://www.microcenter.com/product/323929/V3_Black_Edition_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

Last edited:
Make sure you have standoffs for all the holes in the board. This is very important, you will short out the board if you don't use them. Screw them in hand tight + a nudge just
to get 'em in snug being careful not to strip the threads. Remember, it's just thin metal, those threads can't take any abuse. Use the holes for your size board mATX or ATX if it
is marked inside the case. If they're not marked, eyeball it. You can tell which holes line up with the holes on your board. Also use the nonconductive washers on top of the
board's mount holes before running the screws in.
No idea what's in the middle of the case.
Follow the instructions in the manual for your motherboard for wiring connections.

Make sure you have standoffs for all the holes in the board. This is very important, you will short out the board if you don't use them. Screw them in hand tight + a nudge just
to get 'em in snug being careful not to strip the threads. Remember, it's just thin metal, those threads can't take any abuse. Use the holes for your size board mATX or ATX if it
is marked inside the case. If they're not marked, eyeball it. You can tell which holes line up with the holes on your board. Also use the nonconductive washers on top of the
board's mount holes before running the screws in.
No idea what's in the middle of the case.
Follow the instructions in the manual for your motherboard for wiring connections.
There is only 2 standoffs in the kit no idea where they go, where can I get non conductive washers? There wasn't any included in the case
the instructions weren't very detailed
"1. lay down chassis 2. install motherboard in proper location and secure it with screws."

You can call/email the place you bought the case from, I would, or you can purchase your own.

I don't know where you are but if you're in the U.S., you can order stuff from FrozenCPU.com

Lian Li standoffs

Here is a page with a couple washer sets you might be able to use. I can't find what I'm looking
for exactly but you should give 'em a call. They're very helpful.

called tech support and he said that the stand offs are already installed into the case so I can just screw in the motherboard without the extra 2 standoffs included in the kit. I just wanted to be absolutely sure so I don't fry my motherboard, I have an atx form factor motherboard 12.0 in x 8.6 in , 30.5 cm 21.8.

Make sure you have the same number of brass standoffs screwed into the case's motherboard tray as their are in the motherboard. There are usually at least 6 mounting holes in the motherboard and sometimes 7 or 8. Make sure the standoffs line up with the holes in the motherboard. The mounting holes in the motherboard will be little metal reinforcement around the edge. The reinforcement is kind of like a sunburst pattern or rays. There may be some other holes that don't have this metal reinforcement around the edges of the holes. Don't use those. Also, it's usually easier to install the ram sticks and the CPU/CPU cooler with the board out of the case.

Make sure you have the same number of brass standoffs screwed into the case's motherboard tray as their are in the motherboard....

I seem to recall installing my mo'bo that my case has dimples instead of standoffs at the mobo mounting holes. Serves the same purpose.

I seem to recall installing my mo'bo that my case has dimples instead of standoffs at the mobo mounting holes. Serves the same purpose.

Yes, I've run into that too and I've also run into plastic standoffs.

Don't need the non-condutive washers, I wouldn't worry about that.
I haven't used them in more than a decade.

As said above, make sure all the installed standoffs match the motherboard mount holes, a standoff that doesn't match them can cause major issues.

Back