• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I overclock RAM without using XMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Ok, so I'm finished overclocking my cpu, for now. I heard it's best to manually overclock RAM instead of using XMP. Is this true? How would I do this? I have the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 RAM. Thanks all.

Use XMP.. it is NOT overclocking. Manual is no better than XMP at the same settings, it just takes more time. If you want to tweak memory, have at it. But if I was you, I'd stick to XMP and leave it alone.

That said, all you need to do is adjust the memory multiplier, voltage, and timings. Look at CPUz in the memory tab and SPD tab to see what speed it is running at and what it's rated for (SPD).

Except XMP increases both speed and timings which is ultimately pointless. It's like pushing on the gas and the brake at the same time. Manual overclocking is superior because you can lock down the timings and increase the clock speed which is actual, real overclocking that will yield benefits. Increasing the clock only to increase the timings doesent accomplish nearly as much.

On SL/KL timings are not so important because fast cache reduces latency. Also higher frequency = lower latency. Simply in most cases higher frequency gives more than lower frequency and tighter timings. All depends on platform.

Back