• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i overclock using 'Ai suite 3' ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingdrastic1

Registered
Hi, i am sorry if this is in the wrong section as i am new to this website but i was wondering if anyone could guide/help me through overclocking using the 'ai suite 3' program that comes with the cd alongside the motherboard.
I'll include a picture even though you guys know much more and most likely know what ai suite 3 is and how its worked etc.
asus z87 a
i5 4670k
fGscPb9.png

Are you trying to manually overclock or try an automated overclock?

Are you trying to manually overclock or try an automated overclock?

i dont think it matters if i do it manually or its automated? i mean via this program it can be done manually or automated? if so please help me through it!

What he's getting at is, if you're manually overclocking, you should be doing it in the bios, not via software.

What he's getting at is, if you're manually overclocking, you should be doing it in the bios, not via software.

I see quite a lot of optinos in the bios and didnt want to ruin my computer so whos willing to help me oc via program or bios i dont mind xD

This guide is your best place to learn. You should also list your full system specs so we know what you have. Additionally, what are you cooling the processor with?

too funny LVcoyote

The 212 Evo should be enough cooling to get you around 4.5, depending on air flow through the case and ambient temperatures.

Yh i changed all my cores to be the same to 4500 and it seemed fine, i also put the bclk from 100 to 102 i cant go any higher for some reason because it crashes my pc but i think im doing something wrong or missing somethng out, doesnt seem right to me so heres my full system specs

Haswell OC looks like:
- raise CPU ratio, if it crash then raise CPU voltage, if not then raise CPU ratio again
- don't touch other settings and voltages up to 4.5GHz
- uncore/cache clock is not important for daily work, don't touch it
- bclk overclocking is not giving much and will cause instability above ~103MHz as it's also pcie bus frequency so affects nearly everything in your PC
- set Load Line Calibration to something high but not the highest ( very high or 7-8, depends from board, I don't remember what was on your board ) - it will give you stable voltage under load
- set memory from XMP or if memory doesn't have XMP then clock manually and main timings/voltage like you have on the label

That's all. Best if you make everything in BIOS as software is usually causing issues.

That's hardly a list of full system specs.....LOL

Yh sorry about that i got confused XD
asus z87 a
gtx 780 3gb super clocked
cooler master hyper 212 evo
evga 600w bronze power supply
i5 4670k
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
I think that's enough? i hope so!

Haswell OC looks like:
- raise CPU ratio, if it crash then raise CPU voltage, if not then raise CPU ratio again
- don't touch other settings and voltages up to 4.5GHz
- uncore/cache clock is not important for daily work, don't touch it
- bclk overclocking is not giving much and will cause instability above ~103MHz as it's also pcie bus frequency so affects nearly everything in your PC
- set Load Line Calibration to something high but not the highest ( very high or 7-8, depends from board, I don't remember what was on your board ) - it will give you stable voltage under load
- set memory from XMP or if memory doesn't have XMP then clock manually and main timings/voltage like you have on the label

That's all. Best if you make everything in BIOS as software is usually causing issues.

By how much do i raise the cpu ratio? also voltage is 1.200 ? do i raise it to 1.3 or go 1.2xx ?
Also in the cpu strap tab it gives u options to go to from 100 > 125 > 167 > 250
wat exactly is this?

Last edited:
Did you take the time to read the guide I linked in post #6? It's pretty self explanatory and the guide is done on an Asus motherboard so it should be easy to follow.

Did you take the time to read the guide I linked in post #6? It's pretty self explanatory and the guide is done on an Asus motherboard so it should be easy to follow.

The guide says 166 for bclk should be possible for everyone and can even go higher yet mine crashs if i put it above 103... mm i dont understand how they get it so high yet mine crashes after i put it only 3 above i realise its the cpu strap or whatever you call it but if i try putting it at 125 in the cpu strap tab in ai suite 3, it crashs my pc

Last edited:
It's max +3MHz from every strap that is usually stable so when you set strap 100 then max is 103, when you set 125 then max is 128, when you set 167 then max is 170.
On many boards higher clocks won't work. On some you can go up to 200MHz but I see no point.
Setting lower bclk than strap value is often not working. So when you have 125 strap and set 124MHz bclk then sometimes it will work but sometimes board won't boot at all.

Stick to 100 bclk strap for 100+ MHz bclk or 125 bclk strap for 125+MHz bclk. 125 mainly if you wish to set higher memory clock with some different ratio.
Max memory ratio is x29.33 so for 3200+ memory you will need 125 strap and lower memory ratio.

For start make it stable at 100x45 ~1.25-1.35V , cache/uncore ~x40, memory set to XMP ... for that you don't need any higher voltages than CPU one and don't have to mess with bclk and other settings.
If you are playing games etc then it will be more than enough.

here you have one more good guide but probaby includes much more than you need http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

It's max +3MHz from every strap that is usually stable so when you set strap 100 then max is 103, when you set 125 then max is 128, when you set 167 then max is 170.
On many boards higher clocks won't work. On some you can go up to 200MHz but I see no point.
Setting lower bclk than strap value is often not working. So when you have 125 strap and set 124MHz bclk then sometimes it will work but sometimes board won't boot at all.

Stick to 100 bclk strap for 100+ MHz bclk or 125 bclk strap for 125+MHz bclk. 125 mainly if you wish to set higher memory clock with some different ratio.
Max memory ratio is x29.33 so for 3200+ memory you will need 125 strap and lower memory ratio.

For start make it stable at 100x45 ~1.25-1.35V , cache/uncore ~x40, memory set to XMP ... for that you don't need any higher voltages than CPU one and don't have to mess with bclk and other settings.
If you are playing games etc then it will be more than enough.

here you have one more good guide but probaby includes much more than you need http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

Ok i will take a look through the guide later, so basically if i set my cpu strap to 125 i can then increase the bclk from 100 to 120-125 ish?

when you set strap to 125 then you have to set bclk to 125+ or it won't work

Back