• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how do I transfer win10 to new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am replacing my Z97 game motherboard, cpu and ram with A Z370 kit of parts.
I have the Z97 rig tied to a microsoft account.
how do I move the activation to the new kit using the microsoft account?
the Z97 kit was upgraded using the free upgrade when it was available.

to see how it went, see post# 16

Last edited:
I don't believe you can, legally. It's a different motherboard and that key is tied to the mobo.

That said, you can always try to call MS and run through their little code thing/engage them on chat and see if they will help.

That said, you can always try to call MS and run through their little code thing/engage them on chat and see if they will help.

This should work legally: As long as you have a valid key call and tell them your Z97 board kicked the bucket and you have a new Z370 board because they don't make the Z97 anymore. They won't bite you head off doing this.

I called Microsoft tech support,
looks like you guys are right, because I bought win7 on a disk and upgraded to win10 from there, I'll have to call microsoft tech support for a key to activate it.

This should work legally: As long as you have a valid key call and tell them your Z97 board kicked the bucket and you have a new Z370 board because they don't make the Z97 anymore. They won't bite you head off doing this.
I don't think deceiving them would be most ethical way to handle it...the Z97 board did not die. It's a transfer by choice to a different mobo which (in their eyes) requires a new OS licesne.

But trying it online first or calling/chat with them, they may give him a key. It has happened more often than not in my experience.

the board is not dieing, the cpu is, that's what I told them and they said it should be no problem.
with all the time I have put in, today, searching the nets, finding out what software I have on the thing, how I have the storage set up and all that configuration crud it's left me in no mood nor the time to rebuild it till next weekend.
so I'll report back when I get the chance to get the poor thing rebuilt and let you know how it has gone.

I don't think deceiving them would be most ethical way to handle it...the Z97 board did not die. It's a transfer by choice to a different mobo which (in their eyes) requires a new OS licesne.

But trying it online first or calling/chat with them, they may give him a key. It has happened more often than not in my experience.

So the CPU is dying rather than the board, a mistaken assumption. Same difference.

Yes, indeed it is the same difference, however lucked into it was. I didn't assume anything was dieing out as the OP didn't mention that until after your post. ;)

For me, all i did was take the board out and put the new board in. let windows 10 recognize the hardware and re-entered key. After that, the board was activated with the digital license that is linked to my Microsoft account.

So if you login using your email address, you should be fine just swapping hardware.

I am replacing my Z97 game motherboard, cpu and ram with A Z370 kit of parts.
I have the Z97 rig tied to a microsoft account.
how do I move the activation to the new kit using the microsoft account?
the Z97 kit was upgraded using the free upgrade when it was available.

I have MSDN licenses for Windows 10 Pro. I've flipped between boards and platforms more then a few times and haven't had an issue. Are the terms different for the free upgrade?

this is my game rig, deep water horizons, the cherrie cpu I had died to average so I have bought a few more 4790Ks to try and just can't find one I like, got all average chips, still a very strong performer and still feeds the two 980TI fine, it's just time I guess.

I don't use a MS account to log in my PC's, I skip that part when I install my OS's so when I had to swap MB's a few months back, when I booted, the OS said I had 10 days to activate but when I put in my key, it said it was for another PC. I had to call MS to get it activated with out having to get a new key.
So I'm guessing if you do create a MS account that you can swap MB's with no issues?

Not sure about that... I have an activate windows thing on my OS that was through a MS account attached to another mobo. I just deal. :)

Like I said, for me all I had to do was swap mother boards, login using my MS account, and re-enter key. Have not had any issues with it since.

that went rather well!!!!
went to settings/ update & security/ activation, signed into my microsoft account, selected my old 4790K rig as the device I'm on now and clicked next pop!!!!! activated!!!

thanks guys.

Back