• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i use dell's bios overclocking tool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breakneck Genie

Registered
How do i use Dell's overclocking tool in the bios? I have an xps 720. It gives me 4 options, 2.6, 2.9, 3.3, and 4.0. Do i just simply choose one? Or do i have to make other changes as well?

What cpu do you have and what cpu cooling? On most of the Dell XPS systems that allow overclocking the bios is very limited all you can do is change the setting and check stability I don't think they give you access to voltage settings.

That option sounds like CPU level up. Not 'overclocking' specifically. No dell machine should be overclocked far as I'm concerned. Not til some parts are changed. Depending on CPU cooler too I guess.

Yeah I totaly agree with you Mjolnir I don't think a small clock increase would hurt as long as the cpu cooler is up for the task.

Yeah dell doesn't usually build in much overhead for overclocking. Crappy PSUs. Passable cpu coolers. The only exception of course is the alienware line. They actually offer XTU for download under the utilities section for my laptop.

Its the qx6700 Extreme cpu, i used the bios to raise the core multiplier to 3.2 Ghz from 2.66Ghz. As i raised the multiplier, the voltage raised with it to 1.45. When running a benchmark with RealTemp for 13 secs, I had a score of 1067 with a max of 4207Mhz and the temp max reached 47C. Is this decent? i played dishonored for about a half hour and the highest temp i believe was around 60C. Any experienced input would help.

Edit: sry the core multiplier sits at x10 stock (2.66Ghz). I bumped it to x12 (bin+2) and it reached 3.2Ghz. The voltage jumped as the multiplier jumped. Stock voltage was 1.275v and it now sits at 1.45v.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning i woke up and Ran a benchmark i downloaded last night (novabench) and got a score of 718. I feel like that is crappy... :( cant get a grip on this very limited overclocking, much less overclocking at all..

Back