• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Empty A Watercooled System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
uclajd said:
I use a turkey baster (available at any grocery store, a must-have for water coolers) to remove as much as I can from the res.

Jesus. That's a great idea. I wish I had thought of that three drains ago. LOL.

FIZZ3 said:
It's a fairly simple thing to do IMO. Coincidentally, I emptied my system just yesterday to re-adjust and clean it a bit. I put the whole thing on a desk, moved the pump (lowest spot in my setup) to the edge, placed a bucket under it, and unscrewed the inlet clamp. Then I just tugged the tube loose and voila. I did wiggle the waterblock and radiator a bit after it stopped dripping, to release any fluid trapped in local lows. It was pretty painless and effective though.

I also found out that the water was actually still very clean after 1 year of use and that the discoloration I had seen was mostly the tubing going slightly yellowish. :)

Cool im going to do that.
Is there a way to clean the tubing stain?

unix_foo said:

Cool im going to do that.
Is there a way to clean the tubing stain?

I would guess there is a way, for example by using some aggressive cleaning agents. However, I would not want the residue of such stuff permanently inside the system afterwards. Maybe some 'pure' alcohol mixed with distilled can do the job though. Normally I use only distilled water + water wetter.

I must confess I simply replaced the old tubing if only for aestethic purposes. ;)

Back