• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does an AM3 CPU fit into an AM3+ Socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chirkk

Registered
I;'m a bit confused. AM3 is 941 pins while AM3+ is 942 pins. What happens to that 1 extra pin?

The AM3 processor fits because it has one less pin than an AM3+ and all the other pins are the same. The pin missing is the one nearest the triangle (bottom left). It is the AM3 processor that has one less pin not the socket, the AM3+ socket has one extra "spot".

Attachments

• 601px-MSI_785GM-P45_Socket_AM3.jpg
    601px-MSI_785GM-P45_Socket_AM3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 2,763
  • 800px-Socket_AM3+_IMGP6390_wp.jpg
    800px-Socket_AM3+_IMGP6390_wp.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,599
The AM3 processor fits because it has one less pin than an AM3+ and all the other pins are the same. The pin missing is the one nearest the triangle (bottom left). It is the AM3 processor that has one less pin not the socket, the AM3+ socket has one extra "spot".

THANK YOU! now I understand. I was always under the assumption that one of the pins would get bent but now I know that its the other way around. I was so confused :-/

what on AM3+ sockets is the CPU's DIE marked out? or thats what it looks like...

frakk, on my now empty sabertooth socket it is marked am3b, i think you are asking about the embossing across the top of the socket.

Back