• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does win 7 handle 8gb dual channel with 32 bit apps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RAM /= Pagefile though. ;)

Programmers use !=, and everybody else should open up charmap.exe or KCharSelect and find ≠ :)

I think your statement is false, anyway. Primary storage is primary storage. It doesn't matter whether is it on DRAM, NAND, or a spinning platter; it is still primary storage, commonly referred to as RAM.

Last edited:
Too lazy to do that. You got the message. ;)

You can think that, but there are cleary two definitions of the items. While they both may be "primary storage", RAM != Pagefile! Flash mem vs HDD(SSD which is still slower than ram), lightning fast vs brutally slow. Night, meet day :)P).

Being serious a pagefile is an extension of ram (when it runs out its used, or sometimes needed for uncommonly used files for applications), it is not ram, nor have I ever heard it commonly referred to as ram.

DRAM is simply an application of primary storage. The actual storage method is irrelevant. The fact that is is primary storage is what matters. If you have a 32-bit XP system, with 16GB RAM installed, then install SuperSpeed RamDisk and set up a 12GB RAM drive, and put a 12GB swap file on it, does it magically turn into RAM by your reasoning? Primary storage is primary storage. (But does putting primary storage on a virtual secondary storage device in primary storage make it super-primary, or does the virtual secondary cancel it out? :p) An apple and an orange may be different physically, and people will never stop arguing about which is better, but that doesn't change the fact that both are food.

I think it originated from post 3. The part about seperate address spaces. 1 process can normally allocate 2 GB. 2 processes can allocate 4 GB. Etc. The process of allocating memory doesn't really care if it is physical ram or harddrive storage.

Back