• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Encrypt Single Folder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I sometimes copy a 40 GB tree structured directory to my laptop so I have access to the mostly PDF data files contained in it. This data contains much private and personal information so I obviously do not want it accessible if my laptop is lost or stolen. Is there any way of very securely encrypting this single folder and all its subdirectories and files? My thought is to have it normally encrypted but be able to open it prior to using an application like Paperport to access the files.

Winrar can encrypt folders, but I don't know if it's secure or not. As far as I know, most archiving software does some kind of encryption.

I found this one free prog which works well for lazy people like myself. Drag'n'Crypt Ultra. I use it just for the reason you want. To use, click tray icon (i put in startup minimized) which pulls the drop target up and drag folder and drop it. That easy.

Last edited:
The standard encryption program is generally PGP, GPG for the open source, free variant. They also have a Windows version, never personal used it, but I'm sure it's fine. Just google GPG Windows and it should come up.

Thanks for the responses. I did not realize Truecrypt was essentially replaced by Veracrypt. I am probably going to just simply encrypt my entire C: drive.

Back