• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can one go: A 2000+ XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Spike

Registered
Got me a 2000+ yesterday, nice thing, works great, turned it on the first time at 133.
Second time at 166, see the difference in me signature.

Changed nothing else and I already have a nice couple of mhz's running in my system. Does anyone knows how far you can go?
I got an Zalman Copper Cooler in my system (see pic)(CNPS7000A-Cu CPU Cooler(SockA 478/462/754) :p), running at 85% of the speed, still stressed only 40 degrees celcius. Idle is 36 degrees.
Think I can make it up to 2500 mhz, can I?

Attachments

• zalman.gif
    zalman.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 91
We need to know know what stepping, week, etc on your processor to give you even a decent estimate on what you can reach.

You will not reach 2.5GHz on that heatsink.
You probably won't be able to reach 2.5GHz on that processor, ever.

All processors are different, even the "magic" overclocking 1700s, so they won't overclock to the same rate.
All computers are different, so your computer may not be able to handle a higher speed than someone else, even if your processor is a better overclocker.

Edit: I apologise, I know I sound like an ***, but I came here with pretty much the same situation as you, and I wish someone would have flat-out told me this stuff.

Ok!

No you don't sound like an *** to me!

I'm not that a hardcore user, wouldn't be here then I think... :p
No offence! :)

But I'll try some things, my mb turns off at 65 degrees.

First things first: if you want to overclock that processor, I highly suggest you invest in a new heatsink. The Thermalright SLK800 and 900 are very good, keep in mind that you must buy a fan to put on them.

Back