• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How high could RAM go in this mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I'm getting the MSI Pro266TD Master-LR.

I read its CPU:RAM is asynchronous. And supports upto PC2100...

But in the BIOS, how high do you think it would allow me to raise it? How high do you think the chipset could get with good cooling?

I'm thinking about getting some good PC2700 2-2-2. Even considering ECC still.

What do you guys think about this?

I don't think it does async...

I got Crucial pc2700 and 2*733 cC0's up to the BIOS limit of 166. But I do have an active cooling solution. Sadly software OCing won't allow you to break 166:(

Make sure you get good PCI cards that can take 40+ on the PCI bus, that should be your biggest concern. Nvidia and creative stuff should be fine.

The 9105s I've seen on Ebay all take SDRAM though, this one takes DDR. I think that the 9105 is more of a generic name...I could be wrong.

Downloading the manual with many other things tonight.

Sounds like people are mislabeling the board.

I promise you and I have the same board as you, but my version doesn't have LAN and RAID.

Should be a great board provided your PCI/AGP/IDE devices can handle the raised PCI bus.

Got the manual. I can run the RAM at 33mhz higher than the processor. So that's PC2400 if I'm at 133FSB. I think. :)

Ohhh, that. You can only do hclk+33 when your FSB is 100. If you have one that does 133, you can only do 1:1 or hclk-33.

So on this motherboard there is no possible way to put my RAM above DDR266? Can I increase the CPU clock at all? Voltage?

So on this motherboard there is no possible way to put my RAM above DDR266?

Not without overclocking.

Can I increase the CPU clock at all?

Yes. At 100 fsb you can do 100-132. At 133 you can do 133-166.

Not via the BIOS There are pin mods to raise the Vcore, but I have no clue if there is a way to touch the vdimm.

What setting does it have for overclocking the memory?

I'll probably be running at 140FSB. if it lets me set my DRAM clock, then its Asynch...

I don't understand what you mean by setting.

Yes, it can do async as I explained before. The only option for async over 133 is fsb-33. If you get the pc2700 sticks you mentioned before then 140 should not be a problem for 1:1.

No, you said that you can't run it async.

If I'm at 140FSB, then how could I set the RAM to DDR333? That would be 166FSB to run 1:1, so that doesn't work.

And here is another question, if you can prove me wrong up there ^, then what's the fastest RAM that you think it could handle?

I think we are confusing the ***** out of each other:/

No, you said that you can't run it async.

I'm an idiot, I forgot about the async options as I never used them:

100 FSB options: 1:1 or hclk+33(100 fsb, 133 dimm)

133 FSB options: 1:1 or hclk-33(133 fsb, 100 dimm)

If I'm at 140FSB, then how could I set the RAM to DDR333? That would be 166FSB to run 1:1, so that doesn't work.

I was stating that pc2700 should have no problem running @ 1:1 or 140 in that situation. Since the only other option is to underclock the memory using hclk-33, I'd stick with 1:1 unless their were major memory problems.

And here is another question, if you can prove me wrong up there ^, then what's the fastest RAM that you think it could handle?

The fastest you can run the memory is 166 or pc2700. A buddy tried to use clockgen and go higher but that didn't work. pc3200+ can run in the board as DDR is backwards compatable, but it would be a waste unless you had future plans for the memory or faster memory was a better buy that slower memory at the time.

Ok, thanks for clearing all of that up now. I understand it now.

So I'll be pretty safe with PC2700 then. Since I dont want to go too high, can't take the risk of corrupting the hard drives. :)

This board doesn't have any kind of PCI lock, right?

Back