• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Hot is too Hot: Reloaded!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

comphackt

Registered
Remember me? I posted the Thread 'How hot is too Hot?' Last week. There I discussed how my CPU was running a little warm (AMD Barton 2800 w/TR2-M4 HSF). Well I lapped the Heatsink and it dropped temps a little, but still not to my standards (Im VERY particular when it comes to CPU temps).

Well Being that friday was payday I strolled over to Comp USA and picked up a Tt Volcano 11. I know I got ripped off, could have bought it of newegg or similar site for around $15 cheaper, but whatever....its my money :bang head

SO....now Im happy. Its a little loud, but I just got the sugestion to take off the Tt fan grill and it quiets it down a little bit. I can live with the noise on medium. If I start to do any rendering or something CPU intensive Ill turn it up and deal with it. And with the larger Fan on the HS, my case temp even dropped a few degrees from 23 or 24 on average to about 21 or 22! :drool:

Heres the breakdown of temps:
Barton 2800 w/Stock HSF: 42 idle/49 load
Barton 2800 w/TR2-M4 (non-lapped): 40 idle/45 Load
Barton 2800 w/TR2-M4 (lapped): 38 idle/ 43 Load
Barton 2800 w/Volcano 11(non-lapped): 32 idle/36 Load
Barton 2800 w/Volcano 11(non-lapped, w/duct mod): 31 idle/35 Load

...all these measurments are with AS5 applied, Fans are at lowest speed while idle and highest speed when under load (Idleing at highest fan speed produces temps of around 27!!!), and all taken at an average of 23 degrees room temp.

I havent overclocked yet...but with temps like those, you best bet thats my next project!

The point of this post is to make the buyer beware..... The TR2-M4 in my humble opinion is a waste of money. YES, it lowers temps a bit but not enough to make it worth it. It looks nice in pics, thats part of the reason I got it (Im a fool, I know) but when you have it mounted, all you see is the top of the fan, and it looks dumb. Not to mention its HUGE almost to the point that I wanted to lay the case on its side, as to take some strain off the Proc from all its weight. It almost didnt fit on the Proc with all the capasitors and cableing around it.

On the other hand, AS5 and Volcano 11 are my suggestions for thermal Paste/HSF combonation. Sure the Volcano 11 is loud at full steam and its kinda costly (around $30(US) in retail stores), but this sucker cools that Proc right down to the point of needing to turn ths system off to defrost it

This is my first OC'ing experiance, so tell me...when do I stop? when I see temps in the 50's? I will raise the bar till I see 50/55 temps, then I think im done. Let me know when you think!

It appears you're on the right track...What mobo are you using?Your rig specs in sig area would be nice..:) See sig of rig below...

I see 50/55 temps, then I think im done.

Thats a safe temp for a full load OC..Although most try to stay under 50°C on air...

Thanks for the feedback boys..... I did up my info to include my rig specs, as requested. Still looking for more though so send me those replies!

For an overview of what AMD recommends,
I get a number of emails asking me "My Duron/T-Bird runs at 45-50-55-60-65 C; is this too hot?" In my book, anything over ambient is too hot, a great goal but not realistic for air cooling. For an answer, I took a look at some AMD specs to see what AMD recommends. I'm going to look at two areas: AMD's recommended temps and the difference between cooling Durons and T-Birds.

SOURCE LINK :thup:

Back