• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try about 75c on the motherboard sensor and 60-65c on the CPU...

Rough numbers, personal preference...some guys will say different but the temperature sensor in the CPU actually reads about 15-20c low.

We usually recommend a MAX ..... 70*C socket temp and 60*C for your core temp for a 24/7 OC though you can push that some as BeepBeep has said. Lately there has been some talk that these CPU's are tougher then we give them credit for and can be run hotter ...... now what that does for CPU longevity has yet to be determined. The end choice is up to you.

Last edited:
How hot can I let my cpu get when running prime 95

using an AMD FX-8150

Let us above all be honest and truthful about your question. You can let your cpu get as hot as you want to while you are running P95 Blend mode. Not a one of us paid for your parts. None of us has to foot the bill for any of the parts in someone else's system if it fails. So who really cares how hot you run your cpu under load? No one really has to care.

So most accepted a higher socket and core temp over time to about 70c and 60c respectively. Those somewhat accepted temps are higher than the temps once accepted in general for AMD processors prior to the AMD FX series of processors.

Then because in the short term we have not seen a wholesale failure of the FX processors even though we do not have nearly the length of use time for them that have accumulated on some other lines of processors, we begin to think well the cpus are tougher than first thought. So we fudge the temps upward that we think the cpu may be able to withstand. Good. Go for it. We don't have to pay for anything someone else has problems with.

However remember one thing. The more heat you will allow to be generated, the more heat you must remove from the cpu and system enclosure. The more heat you allow to come to the processor, the tougher is the climate for all the other parts and pieces in the system. This tougher climate for other parts and pieces begins to extend to the motherboard trying to maintain a regulated current supply to the processor. The heat being generated is a signal that the cpu resistance to electron flow is rising and the effeciency is lessening. But hey the cpus seem tougher than previously thought. So let the temps rise a little more. Human nature at the ready.

Along comes joe six pack like those that make up probably greater than 90% of the users that come into the forum wanting to know how to overclock my stuff. Asking how to overclock my stuff when there are thousands of guides on overclocking AMD processors. Yet for some reason they still have not got it. ALL too many are woefully underspecc'd in motherboard, Heatsink and fan and a majority with FX processors come with a case not setup to remove the heat from the general area of the motherboard, cpu and other parts so the parts and pieces stay in a heat soaked condition.

Sure raise the limit of heat generally allowed to be used on FX processors. Fine by me. I don't care at all. I actually am not asking what temps I should allow my processor to accumulate up to. I already have my numbers in mind. By the way the 70/60c generally acceptted number is all over this forum. No need really for a RE-ask. But human nature being what it is , we all want to know if we can loosen the limits. Can I go just a little higher than what is generally accepted? Sure go for it.

Just remember the heat you see is a result of friction. Resistance to the flow of electrons. That heat is an indicator of ineffeciency. That heat spills over on everything close to the source of the heat. Everything bathed in extra heat is heading toward lesser effeciency.

Bring on the heat. Your system will love you for it.
RGone...

I seem to have caused a disturbance ^^
My bad.

65-70c on a Gigabyte motherboard = 70-75c on an ASUS motherboard, 60c CPUTIN on BD is really about 75c...

No reason to argue about it really. It's pretty hard to damage these anyway, thermal throttling/shutdown is 90c for Bulldozer CPUs.

oh beepbeep good to see you again.
on the temps thing, what i am willing to post for another guy to use as a max temp has very little to do with what i do with my gear. I can roast my stuff all i want.
my real concern is the juice going through the vrm section, these things are hungry and when the vrms go they can take a lot with them and socket temp is about all we have to monitor it with.

an the amd/intel i really don't care, we just strive to be happy with what we got and get a little more out of it.

Last edited:
I passed 6h prime95 test with 98 deegres on my i5 750. No big deal.
But I think that max of the max is something like 100 deegres. Because it's 3 digits number. Just because of that.

No one doubted you that's definitely toasty. The AMD's can't take that kind of heat. If you get up to 80 that'll fry it. 60 is a good number for us.

Back