• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I Lapped my Heat Sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, shiny doesn't equal flat. But what he's trying to say is that most of the time, when you lap a heatsink, it ends up flatter AND more reflective.

As much as this topic has been tossed around, I would have thought everyone would have known these facts. Shiny is NOT flat, Shiny isn't any better than not shiny as far as heat transfer is concerned either. Lapping does not make a heatsink shinier it makes it flat. Shiny may be smoother but this can be detrimental to the effectivness of the thermal compound. Now on the other hand it is possible to mate your heatsink with the cpu, by polishing one with the other using a compound made for such polishing, thereby getting a surface so smooth and shiny it doesn't even require a thermal compound. But not flat.

It has been my personal experience that using anything past 1500 grit sandpaper nets no significant gain in thermal transfer. This finish also gives the thermal compound something to hold onto.

Polishing the bottom of a heatsink is like doodling, lots of people do it, doesn't mean everyone should. Does it help heat transfer? Not from my experience. Like doodling though it will keep otherwise idle hands busy, and you know what they say about idle hands.

Last edited:
jAY said:
I'm confused what everyone is arguing about.
And what does this have to do with the article in question?
If this is all about the cut polish he used at the end, well it was and its residue all removed at the end, so only metal was left

Apparently several people dissagree with the authors methods and terminolgy, understandably so, there is a disclaimer though.

Like any article though it is subject to scrutiny, I don't understand the out right bashing of it though, or the questioning of front page worthiness.

Last edited:
Grande Juan said:
Apparently several people dissagree with the authors methods and terminolgy, understandble so, there is a disclaimer though.

Like any article though it is subject to scrutiny, I don't understand the out right bashing of it though, or the questioning of front page worthiness.

I done agree with bashing either, as if you can do a btter job, prove it and stope bashing.

I know that was never intended to be a front page article, as that is not how it was written, not inteneded for teh front page.... However he should be picking up a new heatsink (CPU) this weekend and has told me he is going to do the step by step with proof for it with enought detail that should satasfy the people here.

Back