• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I tricked my ISP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Hehe...i tricked my ISP.

We have cable broadband at home, and several computers using it through a router. Because Chello, our provider, is increasing the speeds of the connection (4mbps down, 1mbps up), we were given a new modem. This new thingy was supposed to use a dynamic IP instead of the fixed IP we got used to with out old modem.

What wasn't told is that the router support is virtually none - to prevent you from using the internet on multiple computers (officialy denied, but not allowed, however, everybody used to do so). Now when i set up the router for a dynamic IP, the modem simply wouldnt connect to it, so it was 'no internet'

I really wanted the Inet to work on all pcs it worked on previously, so i thought of a way around the dynamic IP. I connected the modem to just one pc (no router), and asked for a dynamic IP. Chello gave it to me (through the router to my pc), and i wrote it down, as well as the other setting (DNS, gateway etc.) Now comes the good part: i set those parameters in the ''fixed IP'' section of the router, and now it works fine!

I asked for a dynamic IP, set that one as static so i can keep using my router and multiple pcs :D

Last edited:
:bang head typed a long reply here then IE crashed :temper:

Lets summarize into two advantages:

- I now have a fixed IP, not a different one everytime i reboot, like the ISP would have wanted me to have.

- I can now have multiple PCs online (through the router) which they didnt wanted too.

The router couldn't work with dynamic IP so i got a dynamic one, filled it in as a static one in the router and voila, all worked.

The part I dont get is your router not working with a dynamic ip...all routers will pick up a dynamic ip....

?

Your old modem was more then likely designed for fixed IPs or has a bad DHCP code in there. This is preventing it from asking for the correct IP address. However, what you did will work just fine but beaware, when you IP changes every two weeks or so, you'll have to redo that procedure every time.

Fightingpiper said:
release/renew wtih the router

Router doesnt have such an option...if it had i wouldve surely used it. I know those command do wonders in Windows, but not in Sweex :p

your router will work with dhcp its something your doing wrong, and you setting it to a static ip will cause the router not to work once your service goes out or you loose power. destined to happen.

Did you release the IP from your computer before you hooked up the router? They may have it set up to only allow one IP per user. That is how we set up our DSL at the Phone company I work for. In order for it to work, you need to release it from the computer that was connected directly to the modem, then hook up the router and set it for dynamic IP. Give that a try.

You sure your net access is not now tied to the MAC address of the NIC connected to the modem . I have to clone the MAC of the card my service was initially set up on into my router. If I use the routers normal MAC I acnnot connect.

I tried this before on Comcast, it worked for about 4 months, then it just "stopped" working, and ever since I've had to let the router do it with DHCP....nice part is that we've had the same address for like a year.....it never changes.

Actually when it did that I switched it back to dynamic, got another address, then tried that one as static, and it didn't work, so they had somehow made sure that it couldn't be done....since then I have just left it on dynamic and its been perfectly fine.

PAWO said:
I tried this before on Comcast, it worked for about 4 months, then it just "stopped" working, and ever since I've had to let the router do it with DHCP....nice part is that we've had the same address for like a year.....it never changes.

I've been doing it with Comcast for 4 years next month. Only problems I have from them are just when they renumber their network and my ip isn't getting routed properly anymore.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just spend like $30 and get a new router with NAT and stuff? It just seems like a hassle to have a router that doesnt handle DHCP properly. Routers are cheap hardware these days.

Back