• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I tricked my ISP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a dynamic IP, your ISP is using some sort of DHCP, which your router is not handling properly. That's what I was talking about.

If you don't mind the process you have right now to get internet, by all means, don't listen to me. I'm just lazy and would rather spend a few bucks than switch connections all the time.

An even better investment would be to learn networking instead of relying on hand-waving voodoo hearsay.

XWRed1 said:
An even better investment would be to learn networking instead of relying on hand-waving voodoo hearsay.

How true!!!!

XWRed1 said:

Routers aren't exactly voodoo. It's a pretty effective way to allow multiple computers to share the same network connection, while usually providing additional security. I don't really see where the hand waving is there.

The problem is the mac address of the router isn't registered and therefore you can't get online. Either register the address over the web or call the tech support and they can do it. If you check the ip your router pulls from dhcp it should probably be getting a local ip from them ex. 10.1.2.3 once the router is registered then it will get the correct ip ex. 12.1.2.3 That is how it is done through Insight. I do tech support for them and see this same issue all of the time.

robbym627 said:
The problem is the mac address of the router isn't registered and therefore you can't get online. Either register the address over the web or call the tech support and they can do it. If you check the ip your router pulls from dhcp it should probably be getting a local ip from them ex. 10.1.2.3 once the router is registered then it will get the correct ip ex. 12.1.2.3 That is how it is done through Insight. I do tech support for them and see this same issue all of the time.

By handwaving, I mean how people seem to be guessing about dynamic and static ips and which computers than can or won't work on at his lan.

I don't mean to call people out, I guess its not the whole thread, that's how it seems to me. Noone seems to have taken the approach of laying everything out on the table and saying why this or that won't work. I'm too lazy to do it myself, so I'm guilty too.

robbym627 said:
Or just register your IP using one machine, get your external IP, clone your mac over to the router, and plug the router back into the modem :)

Other fun trick is to use an actual box as a DMZ, and force that box to to an IPCONFIG /renew once every four hours. Unless you lose power for more than 12 hours (on Insight's network anyway), you will never lose that IP address. On Comcast it was even better, an IPCOnfig /renew once every 24 hours would keep your same IP even if you lost power for like two days. :p

Not sure that was on-topic, never mind :)

As long as you occupy the ip, Comcast won't give it out to someone else. Presumably their dhcp server pings the ip before assigning it.

Back