• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important is for the DDR4 to be QVL listed for the motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozumel

I want the Patriot Viper Steel Series PVS416G413C9K 4133MHz. However, on the QVL list, whilst it has the Patriot Viper Steel series on it, they are only for 3600MHz and 4400MHz kits.

Just to add that the Viper Steel 4133MHz kit is currently on a special offer

Thanks

That depends on the system, honestly. Intel will run with potatoes in the slots, while AMD tends to be more selective. That said, the QVL list simply means what they have tested. If it isn't on the list, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work.

What system is this for? Your signature lists DDR3 (and likely needs an update, lol).

I haven't settled on which Asus or Gigabyte Z490 board to go for. The QVL list I looked at was for the Z490 AORUS MASTER mainboard

With the Intel platform, I would not concern myself with QVL lists unless I was running RAM in the 4000 mhz range which would be a waste of money anyway, given the minimal performance returns of running super fast RAM.

I haven't settled on which Asus or Gigabyte Z490 board to go for. The QVL list I looked at was for the Z490 AORUS MASTER mainboard
Gotcha. I have that board, actually... Just finished reviewing it. Great board in that price bracket. A real looker too.

I ran 2x8GB GSkill Trident Z Royal DDR4 4000 (F4-400C18Q-32GTRS - that is 4x8 kit, but you get the idea). These run just fine (as 2x8, I haven't dialed in 4x8GB 4000).

With the Intel platform, I would not concern myself with QVL lists unless I was running RAM in the 4000 mhz range which would be a waste of money anyway, given the minimal performance returns of running super fast RAM.
I had the 4000MHz on my shopping list. But the 4133MHz kit is currently available for less.

Gotcha. I have that board, actually... Just finished reviewing it. Great board in that price bracket. A real looker too.

I ran 2x8GB GSkill Trident Z Royal DDR4 4000 (F4-400C18Q-32GTRS - that is 4x8 kit, but you get the idea). These run just fine (as 2x8, I haven't dialed in 4x8GB 4000).
Nice one. When will the review be published?

1st and 2nd gen ryzen it was important.

As EarthDog said intel will be fine with potatoes as far as compatability.

Patriot Steel 4133 is based on the same memory IC as 4400 and (at least early) 4000 so it should work and maybe even OC up to 4400 CL19.

QVL in general is more a tip for users. If you know what is inside the memory kit then you don't need it but most users have no idea and they're not even interested in that. It's just easier to buy something that was already tested by the manufacturer. It's also a good reason to return the product or make an RMA in case it won't work.
There is also another side of QVL. Many memory manufacturers are changing memory IC and memory profiles within the same product number. Brands like Crucial stick to the same memory IC under one PN.

Last edited:
Back