• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much did you spend on your water cooling setup poll?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much did you spend on your watercooling setup?

• $100 or less

Votes: 66 7.3%
  • $101-$150

Votes: 69 7.6%
  • $151-$200

Votes: 108 12.0%
  • $201-$250

Votes: 138 15.3%
  • $251-$300

Votes: 113 12.5%
  • $300 or more

Votes: 409 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck radiator ~$120 shipped
QuietOne 3000 ~$80 shipped
30' 1" ID tubing ~$50
MCW6002-P ~$40 shipped
6 1"ID fittings ~$25
Copper tubing and fittings ~$50
4 SanyoDenki 120 ~$25 shipped
12 volt psu for fans ~$30

$420 for what's listed

There's other parts and tools not considered, and some not used. Prices are guestimates.

Im Running In About The Mid 600 Range Ill Add It All Up When I Get All The Stuff That Is Getting Shiped From Germany And Britan.

Right now i'm just over $50

Maze 4 CPU $6 used
Ehiem 1250 38$ used
Misc hardware and tubing $10
I still should buy a Radiator if I like everday use but right now a bucket of ice water works great for benching.

As soon as I find more stuff this won't be as cheap though. Time to look for a Maze4 GPU and atleast one pelt. :)

G4 $100
dual D4s $150
120.3 $120
Maze 4 Acetal $45
7/16" tubing $13
3 120mm tri balde Deltas $50.85
MeanWell S320 for pumps $120

Grand total $478.85 shipping not included

Started with Polar TT Series CPU block $55
Started with Polar TT Series GPU block $45
Changed to DD TDX $55
Changed to DD A Maze 4 $45
Swiftech MP650 $75
DD D5 $75
Thermochill 120.2 $90
Tygon $35
Panfalo Ultra High Speed Fans X2 $35
Shrouds $22
Water UV Dye $10
Anti-algea fluid $10
Steel Clams $12

Total = $564

System that rocks like woh! =priceless

Wicked_Klown said:
Are you wanting to know the total life spent or just the price of whats installed.
The price of your current setup. ie not what you have spent on WCing as a whole, just what you have spent on your current cooling.

Wow. Very surprising the number of people willing to spend top dollar.
I agree, its disturbing really, the difference between <100 and >300 is not worth it to me. WCing design went totaly wrong with price in mind and I wounder when/why this happened.

Probably should have made more catagories but I was not expecting this.

Wicked_Klown said:
Are you wanting to know the total life spent or just the price of whats installed.
I wouldn't even attempt trying to figure out the total of how much I've spent on water cooling. My "parts" box currently has a TDX, an RBX, Maze 4, a BIX II, a BIX, a D4, a D5, about 60' of Tygon, 35-40 Delta and Sanyo Denki fans, and unknown numbers of plumbing parts/clamps and mounting screws of various types. If I tried to include all the stuff I've given away, traded, or sold--not to mention destroyed--I'd be lost :D

ls7corvete said:
... its disturbing really, the difference between <100 and >300 is not worth it to me. WCing design went totaly wrong with price in mind and I wounder when/why this happened.
I don't think what people pay is necessarily a problem. It's still possible to get a very good performing system at minimal cost. And, if one is strictly building a system for functionality that would be the way to go. But, for me at least, this is a hobby, something fun to do that alows me to relax, and I don't know of any hobby that winds up being cheap. Think lift tickets for a skiier or coins for a coin collector--several hundred dollars on water cooling components really isn't all that much.

MVC said:
I don't think what people pay is necessarily a problem. It's still possible to get a very good performing system at minimal cost. And, if one is strictly building a system for functionality that would be the way to go. But, for me at least, this is a hobby, something fun to do that alows me to relax, and I don't know of any hobby that winds up being cheap. Think lift tickets for a skiier or coins for a coin collector--several hundred dollars on water cooling components really isn't all that much.

Eh, Im just saying there used to be focus on performance/dollar and alot of that has been lost. Now it is simply best performance with no thought of price in mind, in most cases. I just wanna see the $ value of components get more attention.

Trust me, i have spent >500$ on WCing, probably more that I dont even want to think about, so I know about spending $ on a hobby. And yet I use a 56$ setup in my rig right now.

Indeed it's great to have a very good performance/$ ratio, however, not all of us are interested in building our setups from scratch (i.e. making your own block, fabricating a radiator w/ barbs from a car heatercore, etc.). As such, we're stuck buying the items which are available through commercial retailers, and almost guaranteed to be more expensive.

For me it wasn't a matter of price, as all things were bought over several months time.
I just wanted some cooling that could handle several computers, and quality parts that I wouldn't have to replace for a LONG time.
I'm not one for chasing down the newest waterblock and such, I figure that no matter what's done to waterblock efficiency, the water temp feeding it is pivotal. No matter what block is strapped onto my processor (cheap or not) they'd all do well with 15C water temp, even a copper cap or pvc cube block. ;)

G5 = $0 Gift / Barter (Thanks Stew!)
RD-30 = $112 New shipped Ebay
Fusion HL = $55
120.3 = $105
Fans = $24 (6 of them Sanyo Denki)
$35 tubing 10 FT.
24V PSU for pump = $90
------------------------------------
TOTAL = $421 or there abouts.

Human psychology is an interesting topic, isn't it?

When I made the Storm/G5's, I ended up making up about 5x of them of what I originally thought there'd be people who'd be prepared to pay the cost to get them made up. In fact, I've already gotten emails for about half as many again despite that they're essentially unavailable for a while.

Trying to rationalise it is pointless. Why do people spend $500-600 on a video card which only offers 10-20% better frame rates, and then, only when using 4xAA and at 1280x1024 and above? Why do people pay ~$1000 for CPU's which are only 5% faster than a $800 model, and that's only 10% faster than a $500 model? Do they need it? As in really need it? 99% of the time the answer would not be that their livelihood depended upon it.

People buy the best because they want the best. That's what people do. Why buy a $1500 Tag-Heuer watch when a $150 watch does just as well, and offers the same functionality, and a $15 watch probably does as well?

There is no rationalisation based upon measurable performance/$$. People have money, and then people have "disposable" or "luxury" money, which is money that they have over and above what they need to live. They spend it how they see fit to spend it as suits their personal desires. Is it pointless, bad value, or wasteful? Arguably so from some perspectives. The point is that the person buying it made that decision for themselves, spent their money how they saw fit to spend it, and derive whatever satisfaction from their purchase as suits them. It's no-one's perogative to presume to tell people how they should spend their money, or by what criteria that their money should be spent. Sure people may not agree with it, but really that's the disagreer's problem. The person spending the money doesn't have a problem with doing so, so why should someone else?

ls7corvete said:
Eh, Im just saying there used to be focus on performance/dollar and alot of that has been lost. Now it is simply best performance with no thought of price in mind, in most cases. I just wanna see the $ value of components get more attention.

I don't see that at all. There are $30 radiators, $25 blocks, $25 pumps, and $5 tubings, and $5 fans, all available from various well-known/popular retailers, still. Anyone can construct a <$100 setup with components from modern water-cooling retailers if they want to.

Radiators
$29 - Black Ice Pro
$29 - Swiftech 120mm QP Radiator
$30 - Heater Core rad
$30 - Heater Core

Water blocks
$25 - Dtek TC-4
$36 - Danger Den Maze 4
$40 - Swiftech MCW6000

Pumps
$38 - Hydor L25
$22/24 - AC pumps

Tubing
$1/foot - here
$0.30-0.50/foot - MasterKleer

12cm (Radiator) Fans
$5-8 - here

All these items have been around for a long time and have always been available. It's not that water-cooling has gone backwards, it's just that there are more expensive to manufacture, higher-quality, and more upmarket products available than there used to be, and guess what? People are buying it. If the market exists for it, then what's the problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back