• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much difference will it really make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pirate_Freder said:
you really think so? well what happened to revivalist? he only got to about oh what was it 22-30C somwhere around there. check out his thread on his setup and tell me where you think he went wrong. maybe the fact that he has 80cfm fans on a BIX3?
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=425446
Yup, I was able to take it down to 18C under load after more adjustments, but that's about it. . .

About the fans, I was actually looking to swap them out for some Panaflo 115cfm (like these). But that'll be in a few weeks. So I won't be able to report back on the affect of that any time soon.

Ok I went and looked through the thread, which was a big pita due to the huge pics making me scroll side to side to read each post and the colors that cut reading speed in half.

Something is really wrong here. Those water temps are way too high. I would also ask what the surface of the coldplate looked like and what kind of thermal grease you used.

I have seen some people get under 10C load, so I don't know what to think.

Also, remember the notorious inaccuracy of mobo temp reportings. I don't trust mine a bit once I start putting insulation around the socket. What should be the deciding factor is the extra overclock. You said you got another 500mhz, which doesn't come from a couple of degrees drop. Overclock is the final word on what is happening in the core, where your temp sensor may or may not be reporting from.

LabRat23 said:
Does that mean you are agreeing with me?

Forget about stacking pelts. Its not possible on any modern cpu. If you stack pelts, the pelt on top has to take the heat of both the cpu and the bottom pelt with would be over 300w. There are no pelts with that capacity.

IMHO, pelts on a prescott is nonsence and as much as I have messed with pelts, I will never put one on a prescott. For what you end up paying including power costs, the bang for buck just doesn't compare to phase change.

The only way to stack pelts in a modern CPU is to take 1 pelt and put it on the CPU then put 4 pelts between two water blocks and put second loop to cool them this will take too much elect to be cost affective

LabRat23- all righty, just checking :D. so i guess as of now i am going to use the following: d5, dual heatercore(will get another if i need it) with 2 delta AFB1212VHE (129.96cfm/10.7 mmH20), 1/2" tygon tubing, swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir, swiftech mcw-5002-64t pelt kit. might go for the maze4-1 though if you guys recommend that over the swiftech. also would i be able to run my peltier on my ocz powersstream 600w sli psu along with the rest of my system until i get a meanwell 320w?

lclark2074- yeah i already apted out of that plan, it didn't last too long :p.

You probably need to ge another psu. That depends on your psu. If you have the one that has a 18A and a 20A 12V rail, then it either rail cant handle the 25A the pelt needs. I would think you can link the two rails together though so the combined 38A will cover your cpu, gpu, and the pelt. I would post a question for that in the cases and power supplies section. I have personaly linked multiple power supplies together with no problem so I am 99.9% sure you can do it.

*eek*, nvm then, i guess i'll just run without the pelt for a little while cause i don't have any extra psu's right now (got rid of all of them helping people out :p). how does the rest of the system sound?

Back