• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of an upgrade would this be? AGP 6600GT to PCIe 6600GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

How much of an upgrade would it be for me to go from a 6600GT (AGP) to a 6600GT (PCIe)? This would be mostly for home theater PC (HTPC) use and some flight sim gaming. Any help would be appreciated.

My motherboard is an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2

1. Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 processors
2. ULi® 1695 chipset (ULi® M1695/ ULi® M1567)

* For Socket 939 AMD Athlon™ 64X2, Athlon 64FX and Athlon 64 processors
* Future CPU Port: Supports CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board (Optional)
* FSB 1000 MHz (2.0GT/s), Dual Channel, DDR400
* Hyper-Transport Technology, AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology
* Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology
* PCI Express x16 slot
* PCI Express x1 slot
* AGP slot
* PCI E SATA2 controller on board, optimizing the support for SATA2 HDD
* Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s, RAID 0,1,JBOD
* 7.1channel Superior Quality Audio, 10/100 Ethernet LAN
* ASRock 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports, 7.1channel audio jack

If I had the choice I wouldn't upgrade from a 6600 to a 6600 (pci-express)

If your going to upgrade graphics cards you can get a dirt cheap 7 series card or a 8 series card, 6 series is really pushing it if you still want to play today's games at all.

I had a 6800gt (pci-express) and went to a 8800gt and it was insane the increase of performance.

Wouldn't really matter at all. Even the sing core 7-series GPUs don't max out the AGP bus, so switching to PCIe shouldn't do anything

How much of an upgrade would it be for me to go from a 6600GT (AGP) to a 6600GT (PCIe)?
OK ...Send me the money for the 6600 PCIe card I'll send you a PCIe sticker for the AGP card. You'll still get the performance increase you would have gotten, and we'll both be happy.

No, that's not an "upgrade".

So is it safe to say the performance of a 6600GT AGP is about the same as a 6600GT PCIe?

I ask since I thought there was supposed to be some performance advantage to PCIe.

I have an opportunity to buy a 6600GT PCIe for less than what I expect to be able to sell my 6600GT AGP. So the cost difference isn't a factor.

But, if it's not much of an upgrade or none at all, I might want to go for a more more powerful card.

Thanks

OK ...Send me the money for the 6600 PCIe card I'll send you a PCIe sticker for the AGP card. You'll still get the performance increase you would have gotten, and we'll both be happy.

No, that's not an "upgrade".

That's what I needed to know. Thanks

Back