• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Power ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark Kruz

Ok I know my system will do 1065 @ 10c, (I stuck it outside my window on a cold day). So I need a pelt to keep me there, or further:) I'm thinking of adding a 55w pelt and 14" cold plate, but I only have a 250w ps. and that's straining now....will a 300w ps be enough for the computer, fans(4), and the pelt ?

You're pushing it with a 250. A simple solution would be to add another PS for the cooling and keep your main system running on the original PS. A new 250 shouldn't cost you much more than about $40-50 (tops), and you can run a blizzard worth of fans, plus the pelt, without worrying about starving your system for power. Your cooling willl be happy as a clam, and your drives and cpu will still run smoothly (if they did before), without the sags, which can be hazardous, caused by the drain from an overstressed PS.
Have fun.
HTH

Before you go to that much trouble, you might want to put your system outside again and see if it is really stable at that speed. I'm sure it can't hurt to have better cooling, but you might want to know for sure what you are getting before taking the whole plunge and setting up a second P/S and peltier. Just stick it outside overnight running Prime95 or 3Dmark ;-)

Ok, maybe not...it's your call I guess.

You also might want to do some heavy-duty research on condendsation prevention should you decide to go the Peltier route. at 10 deg. C, you're going to create a lot of wet around your processor if you're not prepared to combat it.

In fact, I posted an article on the subject. Won this month's article contest (WooHoo!!!) so check the Overclockers.com homepage for it.

oO

Snuffleuppigus (Senior Member) (Dec 20, 2000 08:07 p.m.):
might want to look at water cooling... and a slightly bigger pelt....
As usual, I'm with snuff on this one. Got to love that H2O.

Nagorak (Dec 19, 2000 05:46 a.m.):
Before you go to that much trouble, you might want to put your system outside again and see if it is really stable at that speed. I'm sure it can't hurt to have better cooling, but you might want to know for sure what you are getting before taking the whole plunge and setting up a second P/S and peltier. Just stick it outside overnight running Prime95 or 3Dmark ;-)

Ok, maybe not...it's your call I guess.
If he lives in a climate like that of my lovely michigan he may awake to find his computer buried in a snow drift. (see tha attatched pic)

Back