• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much RAM does your primary computer have installed? [>2012]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed?

• < 1 gig

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 1 - 2.9 gigs

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 3 - 4.9 gigs

Votes: 71 13.3%
  • 5 - 6.9 gigs

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • 7 - 8.9 gigs

Votes: 220 41.1%
  • 9 - 12.9 gigs

Votes: 38 7.1%
  • 13 - 16.9 gigs

Votes: 129 24.1%
  • 17 - 24.9 gigs

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • 25 - 32.9 gigs

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • >= 33 gigs - Please post amount.

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt in Cinebench at least. Here is an article on memory speed/scaling. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/5

EDIT: I do believe things like compression do show results with faster memory.

Thank you. I don't benchmark my job, but I've timed it before. In a full out rendering / loading / flushing / compressing session that takes about 40 minutes to fully complete, I've gotten an average of about 6.3 minute reduction by taking my speeds above 1600. At 1866 I was saving about 2 minutes, 4 at 2133, and the end result at 2400.

My range is 5-9 minutes, but its usually 5-6~.

Roughly 15%. Overall linear scaling is usually 4-7% for speeding up your ram, and ofc it wouldn't show up on Cinebench. I bench with .04 difference between setting my ram from lowest to highest multiplier haha

Edit: In rendering, are you all talking about a video game? A Benchmark utility? I'm talking about animations, frame-by-frame loads, renders, edits, flushes, compression, etc. I'm not talking about live 3d output rendering, we OC our vRAM for that.

Edit-- It is worth noting I simply overclocked 1866 RAM to 2400, I didn't actually buy a 2400 kit haha

Last edited:
What do you mean by CineB wouldnt show it? It renders, which is what you said you do?

The article I linked showed nothing that scales. Compression of files do show a bit of a gain, but not nearly the gains you are seeing.

What do you mean by CineB wouldnt show it? It renders, which is what you said you do?

The article I linked showed nothing that scales. Compression of files do show a bit of a gain, but not nearly the gains you are seeing.

CineB doesn't scale at the same rate as compression and load / flush utilities, if at all.
I believe it is the sheer amount of I/O I'm dealing with when loading a few thousand individual frames, decompressing, compressing, rendering, etc.

I'm not suggesting people buy a 2400 kit, by the way. Overclocking an existing, slower kit gave me a performance gain that I can consistently time, and net a similar result over quite a length of time. If it helps, some of my underlying timings are set mcuh tighter than a 2400 kit auto sets, which gave me a substantial gain over using a simple 9-11-9 2T configuration at this frequency.

I am getting 64 Gb (8x8). I know, overkill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently have 32GB in right now, will be 64GB as soon as I pick up a new motherboard :)

Going to play around with ramcaching and ramdisks :)

Currently have 32GB in right now, will be 64GB as soon as I pick up a new motherboard :)

Going to play around with ramcaching and ramdisks :)

I actually had 32gb with a 22gb ram disk for GW2... Then I got bored of the game and RMA'd 16gb. No loading screens were nice, though.

Currently have 16 GB's. They are G.Skill Sniper's. I know I don't really need it, but might upgrade to 32 GB's when they come down in price.

Currently have 16 GB's. They are G.Skill Sniper's. I know I don't really need it, but might upgrade to 32 GB's when they come down in price.

You may not want to wait. RAM pricing seems to be heading back north as of yesterday, very slightly (around 1-2%) but it is some of the first increases seen in some time. May be the start of a trend.

Interesting results, although with the new 1.35v 8GB Crucial sticks (CL8 stock) I can see many, many more systems start to run 16GB-32GB as a normal amount [enthusiasts, duh]

My new ITX build has 8GB of Samsung low-profile RAM, thinking of upgrading to 16GB CL8 (2x8GB) already. Not too bad for $100

I'm running a whooping 3.3GB of RAM on my main... :D

I have this poor little 8GB stick sitting at my desk, nowhere to be used... :(

Last edited:
So I have tested and the only thing I need more than 8 for is encoding on an i7. Hell I have gotten low memory errors on 16 before when doing HQ encodes while browsing.

Has enough changed over the year to warrant an updated poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back