• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Should I Overclock My New CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CODEthics

So I recently built a new cpu. It currently in it's market state runs all my games max graphic settings at at least 50 fps. However I want the experience of overclocking and to see how far I could push my computer safely.

My computer consists of...

• i5 4690k
  • EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX
  • 8GB of RAM
  • ASUS Z97-AR
  • Solid Gear 650w
  • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • WD Black 1TB HDD

I would like to overclock both my processor and my gpu. The processors base clock speed in 3.5 GHz and the GPU's is 967 MHz. I would like to know how far I should push both these parts while not having to worry about anything. Also keep in mind I only have a 650w PSU and right now it is supplying my computer with plenty of power.

Anymore information like how much these speeds could increase performance or how long I should play whilst overclocking to maintain safe cpu temperatures.

I would also appreciate a link to a tutorial on how to overclock my processor. I have drivers that can overclock my GPU but I don't have anything to overclock my processor.

Thanks,
Logan

Most cpus can overclock a little at stock voltage. Or they have in my experience. Can usually squeeze an extra 100-200 mhz out of the chip just by upping the multiplier. Without a better cooler, your OC capability is rather limited

Unfortunately you got the little rinky-dink CPU cooler so you won't be getting an impressive overclock. A minor OC is possible though.

I managed to get 4.6 GHz with AI Suite 3 and my temp is 40-60 in different games and 29-30 idle

I managed to get 100 gpu and 200 memory on my 780 that was already +100 because it was superclocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
40-60 in games. Good... Did you stress test though? Temps will be higher... but should be in order.

Under 90C is the limit for that CPU... where will they be? No clue, but it should be around 10C+ more...

Make you use Prime 95 (64 bit if you have a 64 bit os), LinX, or OCCT. Your choice. Most people use Prime 95.

That Solid Gear 650W PSU is suspect. I would look at replacing that as soon as you can. It is not a quality PSU and if it goes out it may take your board, CPU and memory with it.

That Solid Gear 650W PSU is suspect. I would look at replacing that as soon as you can. It is not a quality PSU and if it goes out it may take your board, CPU and memory with it.

That psu sells for about $40 at Walmart, and $116 on the egg. Most places have it for around $40. That being said, get a decent quality psu. Evga comes to mind.

You should really do the overclock manually in the BIOS, not in AiSuite. You will get a more stable overclock out of it with more options to play with.

Definitely get a decent 80+ bronze or better PSU. A Corsair CX500 would be fine. They're cheap and decently built. An 80+ silver or gold PSU would be even better, but it's understandable if you don't want to spend that much money.

Overclock to what you need. Unless you're benchmarking or going for "bragging rights", then it's up to you figure out your ideal overclock. For example, I run all my games at various frequencies until I find when the cpu over runs the gpu.

Now with a gtx 780, that will be a pretty high overclock. So with your setup, just go until your cooling gets maxed out. Good luck with it though, just use some common sense. If you're beating your system to the wall, I would expect diminished life capacity of your components.

Take Baby Steps, Obey the temp Gods, and use an overclocking guide.
Then come back with any questions.

YOU and ONLY YOU can decide how much overclock you can get out of that i5 and 780. It's safe to say, you'll know when you've gone to far. :p

Overclock to what you need. Unless you're benchmarking or going for "bragging rights", then it's up to you figure out your ideal overclock. For example, I run all my games at various frequencies until I find when the cpu over runs the gpu.

Now with a gtx 780, that will be a pretty high overclock. So with your setup, just go until your cooling gets maxed out. Good luck with it though, just use some common sense. If you're beating your system to the wall, I would expect diminished life capacity of your components.

Doesn't work like that with Intel. AMD has poor IPC performance so you need to overclock to get decent framerates. With Intel chips, even at stock, they perform well in games. Infact, most tests show NO difference between 3.5 and 4.5Ghz on 3rd and 4th gen i5/i7 CPUs.

I run all my games at various frequencies until I find when the cpu over runs the gpu.
This may be best for another thread.. but.. I'm just wondering how you accomplish this and what the point is to do it in the first place?

Back