• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much space should win 7 take up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

ok I got a 120gig ssd that gives me like 100 gigs of space to use so but win is taking up like 62gig of the hd and with World of Warcraft another 31gigs I got no room for anything else... I was reading win 7 should be much smaller how do or can I recover some hd space? Also can I get back the 20 gigs I lost since my 120 is only 100 with in windows? Hibernation and all system recovery are already removed. I also ran disk cleanup. I ran a program called WinDirStat to verify my hd usage and where it was all at...

Is it possible to remove some junk from win to get me some space..?

It will vary by windows (Pro, ultimate, etc).

You cannot get back the raw vs formatted capacity. It is what it is.

If you want to free up some space, don't use hibernation. Shut off system restore and clean up its storage (or if you need it, shrink the size it can grow to), and last is ram/paging file. You have 16GB of ram, so you can easily shrink your page file to 2GB by setting it manually. Do that and you should gain several GB.

ok ill check that out also I just deleted the win/logs/cbs file it was almost 12 gigs.. a quick Google said it was cool to get rid of and should be nearly tht size.

Run disk cleanup again and see if there are gigs of windows updates to cleanup. That can cut out quite a bit as well. And follow what ED said and that will be about as far as you can get for optimizing size.

ok i changed the page file size and rebooted reset too 16297mb... that is 16gig or 16mb? I set it at 16mb min and 2000max under custom size.

I wouldn't do 16MB...

Just set it to 2048 min and 2048 maximum. That way if anything uses it, there is plenty there to use. ;)

ok point taken changed to 200 for both.... and it changed with the reboot but i gained no hd space with it.... =(

I would not mess with the Page File size before doing this:
If you want to free up some space, don't use hibernation. Shut off system restore.

After doing that and disk cleanup in case service pack files are still there, you should have recovered a considerable amount of space.
Messing with the page file should be the last resort because page file can affect the way certain programs work...

Here's my Windows 7 Ultimate space allocation:

Windows7Space.png

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair RM850 850W

after adjustments, here is my win 7 ultimate currently....

Windows 51.5 gig
Program Files (x86) 32.6 gig
Program data 7.5 gig
Users 7.5 gig

with 10.7 gig Free space

Win still seems to be taking up way more than anyone else, that I talk too.... the winsxs folder in windows is 21.3 gigs alone......

That's quite large for the winsxs folder, mine is about 11GB in size. If you run diskcleanup as administrator do you see cleanup windows updates as an option?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2852386

I believe that takes up a large amount of the winsxs folder.

You can also delete the files here: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (I believe) - may want to double check.

Back