• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often should I change TIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueblack

my case:

I am on 4.9Ghz, on offset voltage. On water.

idle temp as low as 22'C
1hr p95 temp around 75'C (difference between core is 10'C)

I use Pk-1, and applied it around 10 months ago.
so I consider replacing the TIM?

if not.. when should I?

When you take the cooler off for some reason. I've yet to see a point in doing it before that when good TIM was used.

is that difference between each core or between the cores and the cpu sensor temp?

between each core, I use core temp to check temperature. and see that my core 2,3 is much cooler than core 0,1, and 4,5

looks like this after 1 hr of P95

core 0 74'C max
core 1 72'C max
core 2 67'C max
core 3 65'C max
core 4 72'C max
core 5 75'c max

10C is considered the limit for a bad TIM install. Or bad tightening of the CPU cooler, air or water.

Did it change? If it did it's time. If didn't change try again.

What paste are you using? What cooler are you using and what was your methodology to tighten the block? And your TIM paste application?

Answer carefully. Fill in the blanks so we can do it with one more post. Pics of the TIM app once the cooler is soooo carefully lifted off to see the paste pattern on the CPU.

Long distance troubleshooting is hard. Make it easy for us.

10C is considered the limit for a bad TIM install. Or bad tightening of the CPU cooler, air or water.

Did it change? If it did it's time. If didn't change try again.

What paste are you using? What cooler are you using and what was your methodology to tighten the block? And your TIM paste application?

Answer carefully. Fill in the blanks so we can do it with one more post. Pics of the TIM app once the cooler is soooo carefully lifted off to see the paste pattern on the CPU.

Long distance troubleshooting is hard. Make it easy for us.

I think the temp difference wasn't 'as large' before, but I am not sure.
I am using Pk-1 as the TIM, application was Pea method. Waterblock is Koolance 370. Tigetening block is cross tightening then clockwise tight cannot get anytighter with tools.

and I use core temp cause i like the format, I found hwmonitor buggy.. it is better?

Buggy? Always worked for me, matched Realtemp.

You got a 3930 at 4.9 and temps okay? You pushing past normal usage at those clocks. Kinda out of the box. Your kinda on you own learning more. If you haven't reapplied pasted and checked the pattern of TIM, try again.

Your at the top overclocking and it's all individual effort, blessed CPU, good block etc.

Keep at it. Now it's up to you. 4.9, what gains and reasons are you looking at?

Gaming? Or just benching?

yea for me HWmonitor has been weird, which version you use? Maybe I got the wrong version. I didn't use real temp cause 1 year ago Real Temp doesn't do 6 core temp right. (at least I only got 4 core versions.) so I am on core temp, i like it, is it not good?

I overclock because I can overclock really.
I do video rendering, but 4.6 v 4.9 difference is small in real life, but I mean, why not.

For me removing the CPU block is a lot of work, need to adjust many things before I can even lift it off. (like radiator partially in the way.. etc) So I try not to undo it if I can...

that's why I want to see is my TIM still doing ok.
and if my Core temp difference within acceptable range..

10'c difference is fine.

can it be better? Yes, probably.
but too many factors here, from the mounting of the block, so how the block is taking heat away.. etc. But since your middle 2 cores are cooler than the outside cores, I 'do suspect' the TIM can play a factor. Though really cannot be too certain.

Rather, how are your normal operational temps?
if they are satisfactory, then for the sake of doing less, wait til you next loop upgrade/repair before you do the TIM change.

dunno man..

I am still split between wanting to do it or not.
I mean I can live with the temp difference, I am more so worried about making it worse if I do... especially with causing possible water leakage as I need to refit all tubings if I do.

.. guess I will wait til next LGA2011 chip upgrade.

Back