• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how old do you let a PSU get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my buddy needs a power supply so i might sell him my galaxy and get the corsair AX860i. i can't seem to find a bad review for it and it has a 7 yr warranty.

Don't change a thing. Even with knowing what a couple of people's PSUs did in a forum doesn't mean yours is going to crap out/live 10 years. It could be tomorrow, it could be another 5 years. Take solace in reviews that actually test the things properly (not newegg reviews!), and that tell you there are quality components inside. While that isn't a great barometer either, it sure beats the anecdotal responses that one can receive here in a forum. :thup:

Yes however on jonny Guru he did not test for failure, so I was wondering if my 2008 corsair will die peacefully. So I was just looking for some information on old Corsairs in this form or new ones to see if they take out the hole PC with fire or just the PSU.

I know I just asked a simple question before, however if any one browsing the forms has a old corsair, I just wanted them to chime in if they have any information, this is what the forms are good for.

Well, what I have been trying to say is nobody can know when or how your PSU is going to die or if it will take your "whole" (not hole) rig with it. A quality PSU, like Corsair, should not take the rest of the system down. Just because someone on the "forum" (not forms - you fill those out) has an experience doesn't mean it will happen to you nor can you remotely get guess with that information.

Last edited:
Wingman,

The answer to your question regarding the death of your PSU is Yes, No, Maybe. No one is going to be able to answer your question "correctly". Any answer given, will be a guess at the minimum.

I have seen threads here about how Corsair/Seasonic/Thermaltake/Antec/FSP/Rosewill/Fortron makes the BEST/WORST PSU/Case/Cooler/flux capacitor ever! If you are concerned, replace the PSU, just realize that you may or may not have a catastrophic failure from the NEW PSU instead...

Earthdog is right, we can't tell you what MIGHT happen. If anyone here had that ability, they would be very very rich.

Right now I have 4 year old Corsair HX850 ( 90+ Silver but later the same specs had 90+ Gold ) which is working fine even though I had watercooling leak and water was dropping into PSU for at least 30 mins before it shut down and I noticed that something isn't right. It was about 2 years ago and it still has nearly perfect voltages. I don't remember if it has 5 or 7 year warranty.
Almost the same is with OCZ Z 850W which is working in my brother's PC for over 3 years.
If it's working good then better don't touch it. As Adragontattoo said, you can get new PSU which may fail in the first days, no one knows that.

I guess you should count on at least as long flawless work as the warranty length. In most cases if something is working for 3 years+ and still have nearly perfect voltage readings under load than it will live much longer.
Most good PSUs have really good parts that should work for 10 years+ but it's hard to say if manufacturer made good PSU from all these parts and if each one of them is good quality.
Every manufacturer had some worse series in the past. Some have only bad series ;)

Well, what I have been trying to say is nobody can know when or how your PSU is going to die or if it will take your "whole" (not hole) rig with it. A quality PSU, like Corsair, should not take the rest of the system down. Just because someone on the "forum" (not forms - you fill those out) has an experience doesn't mean it will happen to you nor can you remotely get guess with that information.

Wingman,

The answer to your question regarding the death of your PSU is Yes, No, Maybe. No one is going to be able to answer your question "correctly". Any answer given, will be a guess at the minimum.

I have seen threads here about how Corsair/Seasonic/Thermaltake/Antec/FSP/Rosewill/Fortron makes the BEST/WORST PSU/Case/Cooler/flux capacitor ever! If you are concerned, replace the PSU, just realize that you may or may not have a catastrophic failure from the NEW PSU instead...

Earthdog is right, we can't tell you what MIGHT happen. If anyone here had that ability, they would be very very rich.

Like I said before I was not looking for speculation on my old Corsair, just putting it out there in the forum to see if anyone has had a old Corsair fail with old age, which may be different experience then quality PSU that it is, really guys you take it to far, just keep it simple because I really did not expect anyone to chime in on my first post unless they had experience with 6 year old corsair or older like 2006.

Back when I had a ABIT ic7 motherboard when easy overclocking was starting up, after 3 years of owning it I sold it for more than I Paid for it because they would fail with age because they only had 3 phase 82 W TDP, also cheap caps, boards and PSU in those days did not last long.
so I was able to sell it from knowing what I had learned in the forums.

Last edited:
Like I said before I was not looking for speculation on my old Corsair, just putting it out there in the forum to see if anyone has had a old Corsair fail with old age, which may be different experience then quality PSU that it is, really guys you take it to far, just keep it simple because I really did not expect anyone to chime in on my first post unless they had experience with 6 year old corsair or older like 2006.

Back when I had a ABIT ic7 motherboard when easy overclocking was starting up, after 3 years of owning it I sold it for more than I Paid for it because they would fail with age because they only had 3 phase 82 W TDP, also cheap caps,
so I was able to sell it from knowing what I had learned in the forums.

Dude, ANY PSU will fail with old age.

I cant believe you just said that, Dude everything will fail eventually. there I fixed it.;)

And you're literally asking "will my PSU fail when it gets old", so the answer is yes.
Nobody can tell you when it will fail. Especially if all you say is "600W Corsair". That literally means nothing to us.

Like I said before I was not looking for speculation on my old Corsair
You weren't?

so I was wondering if my 2008 corsair
You were at some point... last night at 10:37PM anyway. :p

Being serious, 'The Song Remains the Same' taking out the specific model leaving the brand... Its about the quality of parts in it. Regardless of that, there will be failures before the warranty expires, and there will be failures after. Nobody knows is the bottom line. Forum experience cannot help you regardless if we are talking Corsair, or Corsair *your specific model*. It is what we have been saying the ENTIRE time, 4 people now. LOL!

Not sure what your ABIT story has to do with this either...

...hella confused!!! Let's move on past this...this... confusion, please. :)

And you're literally asking "will my PSU fail when it gets old", so the answer is yes.
Nobody can tell you when it will fail. Especially if all you say is "600W Corsair". That literally means nothing to us.
Sure someone could tell me when there six year old or older corsair died or how it died or is doing fine, you have to think out of the box.

like I said before was not looking for your input you don't have any experience with a 6 year old corsair.

it's obvious computer parts will fail given enough time, but i was hoping there might be some signs that will give you a bit of time to get a new one before damage occurs. if for example the 12v rail was reading 11.90 or something to that effect i would replace it. a while back i had 4 seagate drives fail within a year, whether that was crappy drives or my psu giving dirty power. but i've had no other issues since i have switch to western digital drives.

but the thread does answer my question good enough, while i do trust the power supply for the most part i got a new one.

Sure someone could tell me when there six year old or older corsair died or how it died or is doing fine, you have to think out of the box.

like I said before was not looking for your input you don't have any experience with a 6 year old corsair.

And I can tell you right now, Corsair units have died well before 6 years and there are plenty of people with them at 6 years old.
Are you really this dense?

it's obvious computer parts will fail given enough time, but i was hoping there might be some signs that will give you a bit of time to get a new one before damage occurs. if for example the 12v rail was reading 11.90 or something to that effect i would replace it. a while back i had 4 seagate drives fail within a year, whether that was crappy drives or my psu giving dirty power. but i've had no other issues since i have switch to western digital drives.

but the thread does answer my question good enough, while i do trust the power supply for the most part i got a new one.

If you're getting voltages outside of ATX specification (there is a +/- %) when measured with a multimeter, then it should be replaced.

That just sounds like a bad set of drives since the WD stuff didn't die.

You weren't?

You were at some point... last night at 10:37PM anyway. :p

Being serious, 'The Song Remains the Same' taking out the specific model leaving the brand... Its about the quality of parts in it. Regardless of that, there will be failures before the warranty expires, and there will be failures after. Nobody knows is the bottom line. Forum experience cannot help you regardless if we are talking Corsair, or Corsair *your specific model*. It is what we have been saying the ENTIRE time, 4 people now. LOL!

Not sure what your ABIT story has to do with this either...

...hella confused!!! Let's move on past this...this... confusion, please. :)
I already know PSU die before warranty and after warranty I and have seen bad things happen in this forum with new corsairs going POP.

And it is the same song here I don't know what happens with the old corsairs, I don't think people in this forum are using them.

And I can tell you right now, Corsair units have died well before 6 years and there are plenty of people with them at 6 years old.
Are you really this dense?
That is not what I was asking, I was asking how much longer do corsairs usually last beyond 6 years there is statistically a answer to that question like they usually make it through there warranty time period.

And stop calling me names.

That is not what I was asking, I was asking how much longer do corsairs usually last beyond 6 years there is statistically a answer to that question like they usually make it through there warranty time period.

And stop calling me names.

Again, you're generalizing over a brand. It doesn't work like that.

That wasn't a name, it was an adjective.

Well the topic of this form is how old do you let a PSU get?

So what is the answer to the old corsair if you cant Generalize.

Well, the difference between what the OP is asking and what you are asking is that he gave specifics.
There is an exact model number and there are voltage readings.
This gives you something to research.

You on the other hand are saying "my old Corsair" and expecting magic.

Well, the difference between what the OP is asking and what you are asking is that he gave specifics.
There is an exact model number and there are voltage readings.
This gives you something to research.

You on the other hand are saying "my old Corsair" and expecting magic.
6 years ago they only made a few units and so if you new that then you also would know that they were all made by seasonic. and by generalizing I can capture a greater audience in the forums.

Back