• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How smart is Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Yesterday i put my motherboard and CPU up for sale, and less then 2 hours later they were sold, this ment i had to hurry and rip my pc apart.

In my haste i forgot save all the usefull stuff from my OS SSD.

Since im getting a new motherboard + cpu, i presume i cant just boot up on my normal OS SSD and it will run, since its different Chipset.

Is there anyway i can get the new system runnning the same OS, so i can get my stuff off the drive?

Or should i install an OS on a seperate drive, and run the SSD as a second drive and then access it to get my stuff of it, then format and reinstall?

What are my options?:shrug:

You might be able to get it to boot to copy things off, it'll install the new drivers and should be usable. However a safer option might to be just boot up a linux (Ubuntu) live cd and copy the data off that way.

Ive installed win7 on an x58 chipset, and stuck in into an x48 system with no problems, and did x48 to x58 with no troubles, even threw it into an amd system without hassle, you should be ok

My current win7 install has been on a lot of motherboards. Here's a list:

Z77 Fatal1ty
Z77-UD5H
Z77 Extreme6
TZ77XE4
990FXA-UD7 (AMD)
990FXA-UD3 (AMD)
P67a-UD4
Possibly others I'm forgetting too.
You should be fine, win7 does a good job swapping mobos.

My current win7 install has been on a lot of motherboards. Here's a list:

Z77 Fatal1ty
Z77-UD5H
Z77 Extreme6
TZ77XE4
990FXA-UD7 (AMD)
990FXA-UD3 (AMD)
P67a-UD4
Possibly others I'm forgetting too.
You should be fine, win7 does a good job swapping mobos.
This...been through a couple chipsets and boards and works fine.

Though its not recommended at all, chances are it will work. :thup:

I've had booting after a hardware swap work and not work. It won't hurt to try to boot from the SSD with your new hardware. If it doesn't work, then just do the last thing you mentioned...

Or should i install an OS on a seperate drive, and run the SSD as a second drive and then access it to get my stuff of it, then format and reinstall?

I know this works, I've done it plenty of times.

You might be able to get it to boot to copy things off, it'll install the new drivers and should be usable. However a safer option might to be just boot up a linux (Ubuntu) live cd and copy the data off that way.

+1.

Grab the data first, then try the different chipset boot.

Save the whales data!!! ;)

Sounds great, i'll boot her up with the old ssd, and then see if it runs. I got a bunch of exe programs on my desktop , and about 8 pictures, plus my bookmarks from firefox, apart from that, i always run my user files on seperate drives.

Well, Windows 7 could not boot up with the new motherboard/cpu, so im on the Installing on extra hdd and then saving data.

Thats pretty shocking to me really. Did you set the boot order right? Did you match IDE/AHCI modes from the old to the new?

Thats pretty shocking to me really. Did you set the boot order right? Did you match IDE/AHCI modes from the old to the new?

What do you mean IDE/AHCI, being that i dont know what it is, then possible not.

But i still got what i needed. Next up is getting it all running and them overclocking time :)

That is the 'mode' of your sata ports. If you installed under IDE, you need to be on IDE for example, AHCI will BSOD.

Regardless, you got your stuff so that is all that matters. :)

That is the 'mode' of your sata ports. If you installed under IDE, you need to be on IDE for example, AHCI will BSOD.

Regardless, you got your stuff so that is all that matters. :)

It was setup same way i set it up with my old rig. Maybe i didnt look into details, it started to boot then i got BSOD. So maybe it was set to AHCI?

Its on AHCI be default. If your old board was IDE, then that would be it. You could have boot setting it to IDE (if that was the problem). Again, water under the bridge.. get building! :)

Its on AHCI be default. If your old board was IDE, then that would be it. You could have boot setting it to IDE (if that was the problem). Again, water under the bridge.. get building! :)

Its done, its done! You'll see the overclocking thread a few hours properly lol :D

Back