• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How tight should i tighten fittings in my loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karcar549

Registered
Im building a 800$ watercooling loop.Im using compression fittings not barbs.Please tell me how tight should i tighten my fittings for all the components?should i just get them hand tight or use a wrench or pliers and turn them a litttle more?
Thank you :)

Hand tight. The compression fittings on the tubing, depending on its size will never be all the way closed down as it would tubeless. Don't be alarmed when losing skin. It's part of the process.

Hand tight. The compression fittings on the tubing, depending on its size will never be all the way closed down as it would tubeless. Don't be alarmed when losing skin. It's part of the process.

im talking about the fittings on the components(rads blocks etc)not the tubing attachment(i know it should be hand tight as it may damage the tubing if overtightened)Please tell me how tight should i tighten the fittings on the component?Hand tight or they should be turned more with pliers

Go here, then scroll to bottom, swiftech suggests how to tighten, I have always done the same, hand tight then 1/8-1/4 turn or so with wrench.

Also I have always tightened my compression fittings on tubing all way down with plastic tipped wrench (no scratches and spares fingers). Using 3/8 5/8 bitspower fittings and 3/8 5/8 primochill tubing there is no chance of cutting the tubing. You can hand tighten them all the way, but tears up fingers after doing 1 or 2, let alone all of them. But my guess is it depends on tubing and fittings how tight on tubing to go.

My tubing on my compression fittings will not be flush tight. It's almost impossible. I am afraid I will cut the tubing. Its super tight.

As for the thread on the components. Make it hand tight. Sometimes if there's a little space you'll want to retry the fitting again. Make sure the threads aren't crossed. You want it to look flushed with the block.

Back