• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to adjust fan with speedfan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moab

Registered
I have a temp 3 that is hitting 54c. I can't seem to adjust my fan speeds with speedfan. I tried to use automatic fan speed. And tried adjusting the percentage up at the bottom of the readings tab or main page. But the rpm's on my fans 1 thru 3 don't seem to change.

Also I have 5 fans on this computer. And only see three working. 4 and 5 are at 0 rpms. But I can tell they are all moving. I can see them spinning.

I have nothing overclocked here. Just working with a stock computer I built myself. (As listed in my sigline.) The video card has been giving me a little trouble. Not coming on my third monitor out of standby and I have to jiggle the cables on the card to get it to come on. From reboot all the monitors come on fine. I'm assuming temp 3 is my graphics card. Or no?

Patrick

OK. I read up on speedfan a little bit here:

http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/using-speedfan-to-automatically-control-your-pcs-fan-speeds/

And it seems to have adjusted my temp3 down to around 43c. Which is still a check or red arrow. My fans 4 and 5 still show 0rpms. But the percentages below show them running at 30%.

Do I have to keep speedfan running all the time for it to work? Dumb question number five hundred and ten - how can I make it automatically run everytime I boot up in Windows 7?

Speedfan does the best it can with the fans it see's. Some fans on most motherboards aren't controllable. Usually you'll find something in the bios or manual that lets you know if you can adjust them.

Most end up getting a fan controller to control the rest of the fans. There are manual controllers and ones with temp probles and even fancier ones that connect to the usb by way of software.

The monitor jiggle problem... You have another cable? or try to swap cables between monitors?

Get something like HW monitor for your GPU temps.

A lot of people don't realize that fans need four wires to be speed controllable through bios or through software like Speedfan. Two wires are the bare minimum needed to power a fan. Three wires are need for power and to monitor RPMs. Four wires are needed to control the speed via PWM (pulse width modulation, the technology the motherboard and Speedfan use to vary the speed of fans). Plus, for Speedfan to work it must be able to recognize the hardware components on your motherboard that have to do with PWM. There's no way in the world that Speedfan's author can keep up with all the new combinations of motherboard PWM components that are coming down the pike. Speedfan is likely to work best with older components that have been out there for a while so that they have been included its data base.

Looked up your mobo. And read the manual. Thats a good thing. I also have a Giga Mobo. ONLY the CPU fan is adjustable.

You can monitor the other fan speeds, thats it.

Speedfan is not the answer. A fan controller is.

Back