• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to clean big heatsink ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

afrojavix

Registered
Hey guys i got a XIGMATEK dark knight...

I just wanted to know how to clean the dust on the heatsink? i mean in this type of heatsins that are big the dust gets in between the little thingys xD

Ive used air duster but it wont come out...and well, i cant even remove the fan...

is there a way to clean it without having to remove the whole heatsink from the motherboard?

Yep, get some pipe cleaners, they should fit between the fins and push the last chunks out.

Better compressed air? Like at a car garage? Don't over RPM the fan bearings........

EDIT: Using the post after mine. Don't let it get that bad next time. You might have to remove it and run it through a dishwasher, and an hour or two of loving care to get the last bit.

Last edited:
How long have you had the heatsink installed? If there is some really heavy build up you should remove the heatsink, then remove the fan and, as above, use pipe cleaners or even a mild soap wash to clean before using compressed air (not from the can - as stated find a friend with a real air compressor) to blow out the remaining rinse water. Otherwise, if there is only light dust buildup you should still figure out how to remove the fan so that you can remove the dust that will settle behind the fan and low lying fins.

Think about a regular cleaning to prevent heavy buildup. And some air filters to prevent all but the finest particles from getting into your case as well.

For an air compressor and routine dusting, consider picking up an A/C compressor for air mattresses. I bought a used one for 5bux awhile back that has been a life-saver. No condensation like a regular compressor, and no more buying air canisters.

Back