• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to connect 15-17 Fans Corsair Obsidian 900d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EnthusiastBuild

Hi all!

I searched on the internet for quiet a while and didn't get an answer to my question :-/.

Im building a nice rig with the corsair obsidian 900d case, and want to mount all fans possible which be like 15-17 in total, but how to connect them securely? sure there is a fan splitter (1 x 3 pin to 9 x 3 pin and such) but i read that if you connect too much fans to your mobo it will break.

I will be using a

Asus R.O.G. Maximus VI Formula, Z87, LGA1150, SLI/CFX

Mainboard.

Aswell i want of course to be able to control them all in the corsair link program so it isn't too loud when im not gaming.

I really hope you guys can help me out as fast as possible.

Btw, i tried to pause videos on youtube of 900d builds but i can't figure out where they all connect the fans at, example tasty pc's 900d build.

Greetings!

First things first...

Where in the 900D are you going to put 15-17 fans?
Why do you want that many fans in the first place?!!
Get a cheaper motherboard. On air (or water) you do not need such an expensive board.
Buy a fan controller and piggy back them that way.
Are you watercooling?
I also thought corsair link was for use with their water cooling kits?

This is tough to answer with all these questions (we all) have.

I thought maybe if he was doing multiple rads in push/pull he might need that many fans but even then that would be serious overkill.

I mean honestly I have four fans in a 650d and nothing gets over 60c while riunning bf3 for hours in a warm room.

I thought maybe if he was doing multiple rads in push/pull he might need that many fans but even then that would be serious overkill.
Not sure if there is room for push pull on 2 4x120 rads on the bottom though...

OP needs to give more information. This build currently sits in the more money than sense category, LOL!

I will watercool it with a corsair h100i on the top.

I really like overkill, the only thing that matters for me is to run 15 fans, sounds stupid but i really would like to do it, whithout fan controller in the front possible because i dont even want to have a optical drive in there, just to install windows and drivers then once done remove it.

from corsair:
Up to fifteen total fan mount locations

All the parts are already ordered:

Corsair Obsidian 900d
Corsair 860i platinum psu
Asus R.O.G. Maximus VI Formula, Z87, LGA1150, SLI/CFX mobo
Intel Core i7 4770K BOX, 3.5GHz, LGA 1150, 4C/8T, unlocked (will overclock it)
Corsair Vengeance 16gb ram (most probably exchange them later on to 32 gb)
EVGA GTX 780 SC ATX graphics card (later on maybe running this in sli)
1 tb raid 0
120gb corsair gt ssd
A whole lot of corsair af 120 fans, 140 fan, 120 sp fans

Last edited:
Yeah, you like overkill and blowing your wad, no doubt! :)

As far as where to mount 15 fans, honestly man, there isnt a point to mount that many. The case is separated into sections so the 8 fans or so at the bottom only serve to cool that bottom section of which there is nothing there but the PSU. Why would one do that?

Why R0 on your storage drives? Where are you backing up your data? Why, with such a high end build, did you get a mid level SSD?

You can install drivers from a USB stick. Just go to the ASUS website and get them all before you install windows (from another PC obviously).

i honestly really like the look of the 15 fans in total, such as in tasty pc's build, when i can regulate them with the corsair link that would be awesome. i will backup with a external hdd. i never had a ssd and just wanted to try things out first with something not to expensive, might swap that out aswell later on to a high end ssd.

only one question remains, how to connect all the fans. here a video of tasty pc's 900d build:

thanks for the help guys!

I am not certain, but I don't think you can run multiple fans, meaning more than 2 (but especially 15) off of the Corsair link software. That software, as far as I know, runs off the two fan headers on the pump of the H100i. You cannot piggy back that many fans on to those headers (or motherboard headers - you will need to use a few headers on the motherboard and control them through there).

ok, well no problem if i cant connect all, but how do i connect them? i've read that you certanly cant connect 15 fans to the mobo not even with fan splitters because it would break the mobo, so you connect them to the psu with a molex to 3 pin?

If you connect them directly to the PSU, they run 100% all the time. You will need a fan controller as mentioned earlier. I know you do not want one, but you have this idea in your head to want 15 fans (most of which wont even help with cooling in the first place), you will need a fan controller.

Depending on the fans used and their power draw, you may be able to piggy back 2-3 fans on a fan header on the motherboard. The general rule is to keep the power draw there under 1A/12W.

I think the better question to ask would be ideal cooling solution vs "i want this, how do i make this work" considering the basis of your decision is non-existant. Also comparing the needs of so many fans for a h100i vs a full custom loop is kind of apples and oranges.

here is how. (this is 40 might be a little too overkill for you but you get the picture.
some long 6-32? screws (maybe 3or 4 mm?) ready to roll.
19064149579l.jpg

how did he connect them? haha!

well i think i just found it out my self.

put a 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan connecter to the mobo, to this 3 pin connector you use a phobya 3 pin fan connector to 9 x 3 pin connectors, do it twice from the psu and there it is. running at full speed though, might can control it with corsair link software for the psu :)

I totally skipped over he is using an h100i.... At work right now. Anyways you should get the fans you need like 6-7 and worry about getting more when you build a custom loop. The fact that you want 15-17 for aio cooler setup is seriously ridiculous. I might add that you are wasting a lot of money buying fans that are not going to help and will just blow more dust into your pc.

It's been stated, but I'll reiterate.

You can't do what you're asking in the way that you want to do it. You won't be able to control 15 fans from the h100 and motherboard headers alone via software. If you want to power them via molex, then they're going to run full blast, all the time, which == loud.
If you want 15 fans, go ahead and have fun! There's no reason anyone here should talk you out of spending your money for a ridiculously overkill setup, because that's obviously what you want. You have 3 options:

1. Most of the fans full blast from constant 12v (or drop the voltage and run them slower, but still constant)
2. physical fan controller
3. reduce the number of fans.

:)

So many thanks for all of you guys input and help!

I already ordered all parts unfortunately :O and yes its a big overkill imo. actually there wont be dust since the 900d has dust filters all over the place on the fan mounts :). i might try out a fan control and hide it in the case!! i might run it full blast all the time, at least 10. i will see :)

actually it CAN be done: use PWM fans - they all get their power form PSU directly and the control you do with attaching two swiftech PWM fan splitters connected to the MB

Note that means that you're looking at +250,- $ for fans alone :D

Back