• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I control my fans speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I just recently did a rebuild of my system which I added a new graphics card which should be in my signature and also a new Corsair Air 540 case with 6 fans. I'm having an issue I think with my fans speeds, the reason I sai "I Think" is because I had my fans connected to my PSU and the old case had speeds switches I could change if needed.
This new case doesn't have those switches but I thought if I connect my chassis fans to my motherboard I would be cable to control the speeds to help cooling.

I have my Thermalright Ultima-90 connected tot he CPU fan header and the back exhaust fan connected to the CPU_OPT header, the other 4 fans I have connected to chassis fan headers on my MB and I have one fan not connected to anything I plan to connect it to the PSU.

All the Corsair fans are 120mm and 2 are 140mm on the top exhaust fans all fans have a 3 pin connector. I read that my MB could control fans with 3 pin connectors but when I look at Asus AI Suite 3 all I see ids the speed the fans are running at and the thresholds. I'm not sure why chassis fans 2 & 3 are running at 1119rpm & 1069rpm and the rest are in the 700's ???

Am I doing something wrong I think these fans should be running faster to cool better, my temps are good and my graphics temps are 37-48 C depending on what I am doing. I hear my GPU fans come on and off when I am watching videos. I would like to speed the case fans up to help with cooling but not sure how to do it?

Any and all help is appreciated

here are some screenshots of my fans in Asus AI Suite 3

0480.jpg

0479.jpg

I'm guessing your cpu fan and and two chassis fans that match speeds are all the same type/size of fan, while the other two are different from those four but match each other? If so, makes sense. What model corsair fans do you have?

As far as changing fan speeds, if LOAD temperatures are in order, I dont see why you would. You are going to make a bit more noise to lower temperatures of parts that are likely within their operating norm. What are your cpu and GPU load temperatures?

As far a fan control, you can do that in the bios or aisuite. Through ais, im pretty sure you move those sliders in the threshold section? Did you try that?

Last edited:
well, Since I posted i went into my bios and I was able to control the fans speeds either my profile or manual. I changed the speeds and they are now all about 1100+ but as you said now my system has more noise.

I tried to lower them back down and for some reason I couldn't I will go back into the bios and see if I can. I wanted to find Asus fan xpert like this

but can't as you see by my screenshots I don't have anything close to what this guy has in the video.

As for your questions. CPU is between 22-25 on all cores graphics is 39 but goes up to the mid to high 40's when I am watching videos. The fan speeds I changed didn't change much so I need to turn them abck down and make the system quieter.

thanks for your reply

Yep. Temps are fine. No need. Lower them back to where they were. They'll likely ramp up when they need to anyway by default.

Fan Expert can likely be found in the support section for you motherboard. I'd check there.

Back