• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to connect 2 laptops??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alexandria

Registered
Hi.. i was just wondering if there is a way to connect two laptops to transfer files.. is there some sort of wire that u can buy to connect or something ?

Use a crossover cable and enable file sharing for the selected folders with said files. Or hook them both up to the same network. Don't forget to turn off your firewall.

how does a crossover cable work?. does it require some sort of software or is it just plug and drop/drag files?

you could use an available wireless network and connect both laptops to it and enable file sharing that way. it's a tad easier than an ad-hoc.

All of my IBM laptops have infared ports, and can see each other. Basically, all I have to do, is to turn 2 of them on, and enable the infared ports, and they can talk to each other.

However, wireless NICs are quicker, and wired NICs are even more speedy.

A crossover cable is a (usually) blue cat-5 cable, that plugs into your LAN slot, and will allow you to go from 2 computers with the LAN sockets. (They will even work from a lappy to a desktop.)

steve

hey skou what kind of speeds do you get with the ir from the ibms? I have an x60 and my gf has a R3X something and every once in a while we want to trade something. Just curious.

Alexandria said:
Hi.. i was just wondering if there is a way to connect two laptops to transfer files.. is there some sort of wire that u can buy to connect or something ?

Any port can be used to transfer files from any one computer over into a second computer:

In approximate order of their speed:
*Serial
*Infra Red
*Wireless
*USB
*Parallel
*1394 (Firewire)
*Wired Network
*External SATA
Etc.

All the above speeds may very greatly depending on their version and exact implementation on each board.

The trick is, you have to have the driver/software to handle that - either built into your PC's Operating system, or from another source.

Color of the cord means *Absolutely Nothing*, btw. I use orange cords for cross over cables, and blue or white for straight through cables. Both types are commonly available in ALL colors, however.

Cross over cables, as the name suggests, have a pair of their wires inside, twisted. If you CAREFULLY look at both ends through a magnifying glass, you'll see that the outside wires on the connectors are not the same color on both ends. With regular patch cord (straight through cable), the little wires at the end of both connectors, will have the same colors, and match up, exactly.

Adak

IAmMoen said:
hey skou what kind of speeds do you get with the ir from the ibms? I have an x60 and my gf has a R3X something and every once in a while we want to trade something. Just curious.

I've never tried. Strange, but true.

I'm only familiar with this, because the drivers are included in the IBM driver package. When I've got 2 of them in close proximity, (basically, in the same room) they will beep, and post a message that they can see another IR port. They will also hook-up to a pocket device, as well as other laptops. (I've also heard of people using them to change TV channels, or turn off a VCR.)

Adak, I know cat-5 cable is available in every color in the rainbow, but it is still most common as blue. I also made a crossover cable, by cutting and splicing. Worked just fine.

steve

It's very slow by today's standards. "Able to reliably connect one device to many or many to many at speeds of up to 4 Mb/s" Some models had up to 16Mb/s, but that's theoretical best case. As with any wireless media, it fails to completely live up to expectations.

just solder up or twist together a cross over cable... i made one to connect 2 pcs... took me all of 5 min and i was gettin about 85-90% usage of my 100mbit nics... where as over the router i get about 70-75%...

HMMM i do have 2 gigabit computers next to eachother!

You might not even need a Xover cable. Most NIC cards will emulate it now.

I am using a streight through cable where a xover is supposed to be used because it was the shortest I could find in my pile, and im using a Xover instead of a streight through cable cause it was the only one I had that was long enough to get to my workshop. All work fine.

If both have a wireless you can do a direct connect between the wireless adaptor.

Hi, I liked the way adak pointed out the possibilities... I'd make a few corrections / additions on his list based on observed performance though, :

*Serial (56K)
*Infra Red
*Bluetooth
*Wireless 802.11b *Parallel
*Wired Network Ethernet /10
*USB
*Wireless 802.11g
*Wired Network Ethernet/100
*USB2
*1394 (Firewire)
*1394/800 (Firewire/800)
*External SATA
*Wired Network (GbE)
*External SATA2

Crossover or wired network for ease of use. You could do it via firewire, but i doubt either of those laptops have a 6 pin connector, which is required to network via Firewire.

~ Gos

Back