• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to create a home network on Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the issue is how useful M$ finds them. :D

Exactly. I've had customers that lost track of their microsoft password because they hadn't written it down and not used the computer for time and so couldn't log into their computers. The apps that delete passwords and run from bootable media don't work in that situation because the password is not stored on the machine, it's stored on a microsoft server. There is also a similar problem where you create a microsoft account just to use the Store and don't read the fine print that asks you if your want to log in with the account from now on or just use it for outlook and the Store. If they didn't write down what they used for the password and can't remember it, well, up the creek they are. And have you ever been locked out of your microsoft account. It can take 30 days for microsoft to restore access again.

It takes too damn long to change your Outlook password when you know the old one! With thread notifications from OCF alone I can have 50+ notifications stacked up in less than three days.

Although, I was referring to things like the coincidental "Hurry now!" emails from Tiger Direct minutes, yes minutes, after I delete one of their emails. Happens every time. If I mention looking at monitors in an email I suddenly see emails fom newegg, Corsair, and Tiger Direct extolling the virtues of their monitor deals. Or CPUs, or GPUs, or mice, et al. No, I don't think there is someone in a basement in Redmond reading my email. They have algorithms for that, so they can cue on keywords and sell targeted advertising. Welcome to the 21st century.

It's been a couple years, for all I know at this point it was during the Hotmail>Outlook transition and that may have had something to do with it.

edit: That, and I tend not to call to complain or for tech support if I'm using free stuff. Seems greedy to me. LOL If I got completely locked out that would be a different story. It's been my email address since 2010, so changing it would be a pain.

"Microsoft Account"

Or use the live chat.

I know there can be a 30 day waiting period, but maybe I was lucky and the call or chat worked as I never ran into that. Granted, I have only done this for a couple of users.

Last edited:
"Microsoft Account"

I was just about to post this. Your Hotmail/Outlook email address and password are your Microsoft user name and password. So if you're locked out, it's technically a problem with your M$ account. I had forgotten that.

But isn't that the point? If you are locked out of your account then you can't access it to get help with it.

I have always used a username and password for each machine, and then linked that to my Microsoft account.

I have never had any issues with networking and sharing data across multiple platforms.

Microsoft turned off SMB1 due to security issues. However, it's very straight forward to get things running again...a bit of Google-Fu magic was all I needed.

I linked my stepson's account to my Microsoft account, and each week I get a email telling me how much time he spent on the PC each day, what apps he used, and where he went on the internet.

Stopping the Microsoft data phishing (and NVIDIA, and Google, and Android, and Facebook, and...) is as simple as putting a Pi-Hole on your network! I have two Pi-Holes (one for the primary DNS and the other for the secondary DNS) and they block over 35% of requested traffic!

Pi-Hole 1.jpg

Back