• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Customize XP's Desktop+bootscreens+more. Use 0 Resources, FREE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MadSkillzMan said:
uxtheme.dll for XP SP2!

Ok guys, sorry for the long time in between. I know many of you want to try xp sp2, and find it fixes our little uxtheme.dll hack. Well im here to correct that.
1. Make sure you already installed SP2
2. Go here and download the NEW uxtheme.dll.
http://www.tcmagazine.net/downloadget.php?id=56&file=1&evp=58fed8e77f9276466ed31d9991d1c383

Its a .rar, so you need winrar or winace...etc..

3.Extract it to a temporary directory and rename it from uxtheme.dll TO uxtheme1.dll
4. Copy uxtheme1.dll to C:\Windows\system32

Ok heres the tricky part. We have to boot into the recovery console of the windows XP CD.

5. Insert your windows XP CD, and reboot your computer. Make sure your configured to boot from CDROM. Once you boot into the windows setup, you will be able to choose "Repair an existing installation with recovery console". You press R to get here. So do so.

You will be thrown to a black screen similar to DOS. You will then have to choose which OS, usually its 1., but those of us multibooting have to choose the correct OS.

By NO MEANS do most of the DOS commands work here. DONT MESS AROUND. ONLY follow my steps.
6. At the C:\WINDOWS> type CD system32. This should put you into the folder of C:\windows\system32
7. at the C:\WINDOWS\system32> type ren uxtheme.dll uxthemeA.dll
it might ask a yes or no or confirmation. Tell it yes.
8. At the C:\WINDOWS\system32> , type ren uxtheme1.dll uxtheme.dll

9. At the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 type EXIT. This will reboot your computer.

Now just reapply your previous themes and there you go!

PM if i have the wrong syntax or anything ill correct it.

alrighty, its available here for anybody interested

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/9/3/9-3-14.shtml

ive tested the stuff myself and all i can say is:

THNX THNX THNX MadSkillzMan...

I love this black theme i found, its called "Desiny" for anybody interested...

Ur welcome phobmx..lol...im STILL sending people to this thread that arent on the forums...doesnt surprise me u guys still dig it up. glad ya do.

Id like to EMPHASISE!

The packages on Themexp.org, TRY to get the .zip files only...the .exe's contain TONS of spyware!...what i did, was started alittle folder on my D: drive, titled it CUSTOMIZE, and just made 1 big folder of al my themes...that way, when windows decided to be a jerk and require a reinstall, i just copy the files over...no spyware, no buggy loaders..hmm...getting an idea for a program..

Last edited:
MadSkillzMan said:
Ur welcome phobmx..lol...im STILL sending people to this thread that arent on the forums...doesnt surprise me u guys still dig it up. glad ya do.

Id like to EMPHASISE!

The packages on Themexp.org, TRY to get the .zip files only...the .exe's contain TONS of spyware!...what i did, was started alittle folder on my D: drive, titled it CUSTOMIZE, and just made 1 big folder of al my themes...that way, when windows decided to be a jerk and require a reinstall, i just copy the files over...no spyware, no buggy loaders..hmm...getting an idea for a program..

the destiny theme im using was extracted from an exe, i didnt get any spyware from it whatsoever... but good to know

EDIT: OMG LOL... I downloaded a rammstein screensaver from themexp.org also and it was the perfect example of what madskillz said....

it had like 5 different spyware programs in it, thank god i had ad-watch up and running and blocked all the stuff, im currently uninstalling all the crap... in the end what matters is the scr file...

so in short, be sure you have some sort of tsr spyware detection when you feel like using and exe. As my experience says, some are legit, some are not, but if you are willing to take the risk to block the spyware (as i did) you get your stuff and fool the spyware lameness

Last edited:
i use a combo of adaware pro and spybot S&D....even if u click NO THANKS it loads u up..friend of mine had 30 objects after one theme install...but, if u do as i suggested, and back them up, next windows install ull be fine

Also, a note on fonts....i have well over 2,000 fonts on my PC...it takes a LONG time to boot it..like bout 3 minutes....i heard, if u place ur fonts in a folder within the fonts, OR, make a shortcut in your C:/windows/fonts, u can still ahve use of them in multimedia progs.....

Now, i have not tested this, YET, but xp is aggervating me like always..a format is comming, so if anyone can vouch for that, lemme know..this works with macs....its how i got the idea...in macs, place them in "My Briefcase "(os9.2)...and u can still use em, but wont slow down ur mac.

MadSkillzMan said:
i use a combo of adaware pro and spybot S&D....even if u click NO THANKS it loads u up..friend of mine had 30 objects after one theme install...but, if u do as i suggested, and back them up, next windows install ull be fine

Also, a note on fonts....i have well over 2,000 fonts on my PC...it takes a LONG time to boot it..like bout 3 minutes....i heard, if u place ur fonts in a folder within the fonts, OR, make a shortcut in your C:/windows/fonts, u can still ahve use of them in multimedia progs.....

Now, i have not tested this, YET, but xp is aggervating me like always..a format is comming, so if anyone can vouch for that, lemme know..this works with macs....its how i got the idea...in macs, place them in "My Briefcase "(os9.2)...and u can still use em, but wont slow down ur mac.

alrighty, is there a way to find "sound combos"? this desktop theme is kewl, but id also like some audio for the events.

btw, after i scanned, i had 36new spyware objects... but the rammstein screensaver is so cool it was worth the risk. anyhow my comp is clean right now and i have the saver, i just kept the scr file and a mdb file along with it, works the same without spyware :D

u know, even after i googled it i cant find ne pure sound sites for it...some themes come with sounds, like this Cradle Of Filth one i used to have..it jsut got ANNOYING THO...EVERYTHING had a sound.

I can post how to add your own sounds if that would suffice... hmm..maybe i should redo this thread with pictures...i found a GREAT hoster...said to put an end to photobucket..jsut cant remembe the name..

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I was actually searching for opinions on stylexp vs windowsblinds as I was gonna shell out $20 on one of them. Just ran the patch with the SP2 .dll and immediately had access to all of the themes I had installed from my trial period of stylexp -- and no stylexp service slowing done my boot times :attn:

can sombody help get it right please??

I have a little problem going on here. I have SP2 installed and renamed all the .dll files but when I go to display property and look in Themes they are never in there but when I go to the Appearance tab and look in Windows and Buttons the theme is there.

Can somebody please help me so I don't have to have theme without doing it manually.

i had a similar problem. do a search, make sure u UNHIDE all HIDDEN and SYSTEM files.
(Tools/Foler options/) SP2 installs a backup of the uxtheme.dll. find them all, and rename them to Uxtheme.dl1, cuz sometimes windows CAN rename the uxtheme.bak file.

u will find one i beleive in a backup folder and/or sp2 folder (i dont use SP2, too many problems)

Basically what happens now is, windows sees the hacked Uxtheme, and automatically replaces it with the one in the backup folder, which is ALSO the hacked one so its forced to live with it.

by rights, one should be able to do a splitstream CD with the hacked UXtheme and themes already included on there (dont ask me how ive never done a splitstream CD)

hope that helps quicksilver.

i cant believe this aint a sticky, this makes my whole windows xp experience "non standard" and enjoyful. it finaly makes my puter feel special on something rather than just speed hehehe

i think the mod's would be alitttle more enclined if i had illustrated the tips..which i will get to eventually ...justa pain cuz ATM i have 3 monitors, so all the images will need to be either resized or edited in some way

EDIT: i wonder if this has upped the traffic on the "post your desktop" thread

Back