• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Customize XP's Desktop+bootscreens+more. Use 0 Resources, FREE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not ads

Like you create a page in flash MX, and that becomes your wallpaper. You can make animations and such, but my thought was make custom buttons to navigate around your computer..etc...think of that kind of power, flash can do ALOT, although im not very experienced in flash.

some nice info...would probably be a lot easier if you placed everything into the first post. It would be read easier, and be a lot cleaner. just a suggestion.
Goodwork though.

Yay, thanks for the link! I'll try it when I get home tonight.

The error I was getting was a 'Use DLL as an executable' error, and it gave me the option of sending a report to MS or not. It's most likely the SP1 patch on an SP2 install that is causing it.

MadSkillzMan said:
I need your opinions!

Ive found something called LiteStep. Completely GPL liscensing. What it does is, replaces eplorer.exe. Basically its a bunch of new shells for windows. Its quite complicated however, but once i learn it i will try my best to teach you guys how to use it. The best thing is, it runs on all win platforms. The other thing is, your windows will remain the same from explorer.exe, but i beleive these can be skinned still the old way.

I was gonna go litestep, simply because thats the first one i saw and you can create your own...but then i saw these other ones. The thing here is, you are going WAY farther than just skinning it. Thing about litestep i liked was you could create your own functions, actions and controls. These others are simpler to install though, but i am not as familiar with them as i am litestep.

Gimme some feedback guys. Thanx in advance.

Here is what I got from LiteStep and a skin I found on a website:

desktop.jpg

Basically, it takes roughly the same memory footprint as windows explorer...
integrates a lot of shortcuts, system resources, winamp, and 4 desktops. It is very functional... however, dragging and dropping on the desktop is disabled. I am liking it so far...

Will post more when I finish tweaking.

The visual styles from ThemeXp now come conveniently loaded with Accoona toolbar, just what I wanted :rolleyes: No option to just install the visual style, either.

If i were to buy the Style xp instead of the Trial version .... Will I be able to just download the Theme itself or will I be stuck getting the Accoona Toolbar with it no matter what? anyone know?

DrkLrdsSlv said:
The visual styles from ThemeXp now come conveniently loaded with Accoona toolbar, just what I wanted :rolleyes: No option to just install the visual style, either.

I've been messing with themes and stuff yesterday and today... and that is the biggest buzzkill. ThemeXP has 4 different programs that will install if you just click 'next' really fast... you have to manually uncheck each one (though 1 you have to use)... really sucks when you're trying to decide which one to keep. Between the x-fi control panels, samurize, and my themes, I'm up to 40 processes. Used to be at 29. Jesus.

The only other option is to mess with that .dll, and I'm not so keen to jump into that just yet...

Back