• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to delete locked photos on a PowerBook G4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmaccaslacka

hello, new to this forum coming out of Vancouver, BC.

Here's my problem. I originally locked a series of photos on my DSLR and then uploaded them to my Mac PowerBook G4 prior to unlocking them.

Now, they are 'locked' on my laptop and I am unable to do ANYTHING with them.

I don't need the photos anymore and would just like to delete them off my laptop. When I go to delete them, a message comes up saying 'The action can't be completed because the item is locked.' I have also tried using the apple key and right click to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks

You can unlock each individual file by highlighting the file in the Finder, and then go to the File menu and click on Get Info (or hold down the Apple key and press the I key). In the Info box there is a checkbox titled "Locked".

Additionally, if you have locked items in your Trash you can delete them through the Finder by holding down the Option key as you select Empty Trash from the Finder menu. Doing an Option-Empty Trash will wipe out everything in your trash can without warning, except for files that are currently in use of course.

Thanks guys - the response time is amazing!

I tried BenBaked's suggestion of hi-liting the photos and 'Getting Info' and sure enough there is a little box there where you can deselect the lock! Never would have thought it would be something so simple.

Problem is effectively solved!

cheers!

I tried BenBaked's suggestion of hi-liting the photos and 'Getting Info' and sure enough there is a little box there where you can deselect the lock! Never would have thought it would be something so simple.

cheers!

I'm happy to see that worked for you. :D and :welcome: to the forums.

hafa said:
The OP never indicated whether he was in OSX or Windows. Since you can run both via bootcamp, my suggestion was not entirely out of line...

Bootcamp only works on intel macs. However, you can run Windows through an emulator such as Virtual PC. I do this on my iBook G4, and it is slower than snot. :)

The OP never indicated whether he was in OSX or Windows. Since you can run both via bootcamp, my suggestion was not entirely out of line...

The PowerBook G4 is a PPC processor machine that would only run Windows in emulation. (like benbaked said.)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html

Which means for him to be describing functions and files on his desktop the same way they appear in the Mac OS and then putting his pictures on a Windows emulation is highly unlikely without him bringing attention to it as part of his problem.

And since bootcamp does not even run on a G4, your assumption it does is just as incorrect as your assumption he's running Windows on a none native PPC machine. Unless you are assuming... again he does not know what kind of Mac he owns. So it may not be out of line, or beyond the realm of possibility, but it is highly unlikely considering his description of his machine and the procedures he tried. You just made a quick suggestion that was flawed and are trying to save face. ;)

No offense, but if you aren't really sure of something you are talking about, it's not the best idea to try and correct people who might. It just makes you look a bit foolish.

cheers!

Glad you got it all set. :)

- Blackstar

Last edited:
just to clarify...

After reading the previous discrepancies about my system, I figured i should clarify what I have....

I'm running a Mac PowerBook G4 with OSX 10.4.11.

As far as I know, I don't think there would be too many mac users out there that would be operating windows.....kind of defeats the purpose of having a mac (unless of course you are running both OS's).

Thanks for the greetings!

Thank You to Benbaked for your answer as how to delete a locked file on a Mac Powerbook G4. I had the exact same problem and question as bigmacclaslacka. Getting the Info screen for the folder with an Apple Command+I and then unchecking the "Locked" option solved my problem. I've been using the Powerbook G4 since 2004 (!!) and have used "Get Info" thousands of times to find out size of folders or size of files, but I never noticed the "Locked" option on the Info screen(!) Thanks again.

Back