• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to determine HP loss in games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its normally set in hitboxes/gun settings hard-programmed in the game, somewhere. Like, for CS and things, its probably in one of the main mod files, not sure where you'd find it.

Hitboxes determine if its an instant kill, or where the game should register where it's getting hit.

certain games have calculators online, where you can enter distance, weapon, and area of body hit, and it'll tell you how much HP the shot did.

SolidxSnake said:
certain games have calculators online, where you can enter distance, weapon, and area of body hit, and it'll tell you how much HP the shot did.
I know. But I want to know how to acertain the data used to make those calculations.

Some calculators will say here is the equation used and here is the calculator. If worse comes to worse, you could seek out a email addy of one or more of the creators of the calculators and ask them what they used

What kind of games are you thinking of, FPS or RPG? RPGs generally follow the D&D rules and the damage of the weapon is based on a dice roll(ie random number). The armor (ie AC) the character is wearing then gets subtracted from the number of the dice roll to get the final resulting hp loss. There's a few more things in the calculation but I just simplified it to make it easier to follow.

usually with enginges designed with modding in mind its done by scripting which sits upon the main code - so it may be a case of finding some simple table that a file is referencing and changing values, however what it is doing with those values will be in the code, here it will most likely take that value (which will usually be a dp/shot) and then work out how much armour / hp to remove. (I cant remember where this is in the hl2 SDK, but you are most likely to find it in the server part of the code (as client works with how stuff appears where server works with the gubbins that runs it all) - there are loads of forums dedicated to just hl2 sdk stuff, as well as the wiki for it

I am looking at doing this for Quake 4 if that helps.

Is there going to be a specific QIV SDK or just the DIII one?

Back