• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to disable Windows 7 "Files Ready to Be Written to Disc (1)" Desktop.ini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
How to disable Windows 7 "Files Ready to Be Written to Disc (1)" Desktop.ini

How can I disable the following from displaying when exploring my burner under Windows 7, I don't want to see it because it gets selected when I try to Select All from a disc.

Files Ready to Be Written to Disc (1).jpg

S O L V E D :

Right click on the following folder:
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn
or
C:\Users\[B][your user name][/B]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn

Properties > Security TAB > Edit > Click on any user name > (to the right of Full Control) CHECK: Deny > OK > OK

Desktop.ini no longer shows up, I don't know what other consequences this will have other than maybe not directly burning to the disc, but most of us use third party burning software anyway.

Last edited:
Can you delete it? Looks like it was dragged to the drive.

It appears every time I explore any burner under Windows 7.
Windows 7 puts it there for whatever display purpose reason, I just don't want to see it because it interferes with copy/pasting under Windows 7.

Hm... it does have both system and hidden properties. It should not show up.

My system files on my hard drives are affected by that setting but Desktop.ini on the burner disc is not - even though it does have system property so it should not show up when I CHECK the option to hide system files. But is remains unaffected. It always shows up no mater which data disc I put in.

Good find. Thank you.

Right click on the following folder:
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn
or
C:\Users\[B][your user name][/B]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn

Properties > Security TAB > Edit > Click on any user name > CHECK: Deny (to the right of Full Control) > OK > OK

Desktop.ini no longer shows up, I don't know what other consequences this will have other than maybe not directly burning to the disc, but most of us use third party burning software anyway.

Hey Thank you!

Last edited:
No problem, I hope it works out for you. Please let me know if you stumble on any odd effects for modifying the folder perms.

I will post them in this thread if I do. Burning in Nero seems to be OK.

The only thing I can imagine this affecting is using your burner like a floppy to save files, I never used it that way, but I think Windows can do that, burn to it directly...

Always interesting when a couple of years pass and a new OS is released and Google search hits your own thread with solution. :D

This also works under Windows 8.

Back