• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to format a drive with NTFS WITHOUT the WinXP cd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Is there a way to do this? Some kind of application on a floppy? The Win98 boot disk does not support ntfs. Don't ask why I don't use the XP cd because that's no possibility in this case.

The easiest way is to connect the drive to a system running 2000/XP/2003 and use Disk Management to format the drive.

The above method would work if you wanted to convert the drive, but requires the XP/2003 OS to be installed.

Later versions of Partition Magic and other disk partitioning utilities can do this from a floppy.

This one might be able to run formats from the demo, but no guarantee. PM's demo is read only and will not write to the drive.

thanks for the link, but unfortunately it's not what I need. The drive I want to format is already using the NTFS file system. I don't need to partition it or whatever, I just need to format it. I was wondering if there are any utilities out there that allow this from a DOS environment (bootable floppy or something).

Back