• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to go about Painting Plastic? Chieftec "Dragon" Case Front Panels

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
I have a Chieftec Dragon case. Every metal part of the case has been powdercoated a gloss black, so the plastic front-panels, and side-door handle do not really match the case too well.

I also am intending to make a "box" to fit a phase-change unit in, that will be seated underneath my computer. I am going to make the box out of a butchered Chieftec Dragon case, because that way it will match my computer case, and fit underneath it perfectly.

I can get a Blue Chiefec Dragon case, to make such a box out of, for really really cheap from tigerdirect. Every single metal part of this case will also be powdercoated a gloss black.

The issue here, is that I want to have both front panels matching the gloss black case. The front panels will also look mismatched if unpainted, with one Blue, and one Black.

What kind of paint can I use, to achieve a smooth, gloss-black finish on the type of plastic used with these front-panels? I suspect that brush-on paint will come out looking patchy, because of it being brushed on. That leads me to spray paint - but what kind can I use with this plastic, that won't chip, or peel off over time?

I need something that will come out a glossy black (gloss is highly preferred), or at least a good consistant matte black. I need something that will be easy to apply evenly and nicely, and also prove durable. This needs to look aesthetically pleasing, as I see the front of the case a lot - I cannot afford to do a poor job on these panels, and am willing to buy high-quality spray paint of neccessary. My goal is for them to look like they 'came that way' - really cleanly colored.

Remember, that I also need both panels to match after being painted, even though they will start out different colors.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Krylon makes Fusion paints specifically for plastic, you might want to take a look into those.

Krylon makes Fusion paints specifically for plastic, you might want to take a look into those.

Would any hardware store sell this stuff? Home Depot doesn't seem to sell it.

In what kind of retail chain would it be sold, that would likely be local to me?

there is this stuff the Dollar General Store has in its paint aisle... yeah its 'cheap' spray-paint... but it works VERY well for a matte black.

next pc i'm doin, i'm gettin' that gold spraypaint, and making a mirror sheen of Gold for my pc, with white lights...

Good call, I'll go and check out Wal-mart tommorrow :).

I hadn't thought of Wal-Mart.

If it were me (which ironically it is I also have a Dragon that I am going glossy black on) I would use either Duplicolor, or Plasitikote automotive spray paint. Yes this paint is on the expensive side $5 US per can but the results you can get are amazing. Ohh but for the absolute fun part you need to start sanding right away :/ . You may have to run your computer without a front bezel on it for a while but with the effort you put it you will love the outcome. There are a couple of different guides out there that tell you exactly what sandpaper and stuff to get with the technique as well. I will look for a link to one and then edit this post.

http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000156.php
http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000157.php

That is a really good guide with some nice pictures of what your outcome can be with a bit of elbow grease. Good luck :)

I use Vinal dye found in the Automotive store, It will stain the plastic deep and won't scratch off. Great for Drive doors, CD trays and other plastic parts that move or get touched alot. Wont add any thickness to parts so they will still fit as before.

DooLocsta said:
If it were me (which ironically it is I also have a Dragon that I am going glossy black on) I would use either Duplicolor, or Plasitikote automotive spray paint. Yes this paint is on the expensive side $5 US per can but the results you can get are amazing. Ohh but for the absolute fun part you need to start sanding right away :/ . You may have to run your computer without a front bezel on it for a while but with the effort you put it you will love the outcome. There are a couple of different guides out there that tell you exactly what sandpaper and stuff to get with the technique as well. I will look for a link to one and then edit this post.

http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000156.php
http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000157.php

That is a really good guide with some nice pictures of what your outcome can be with a bit of elbow grease. Good luck :)

That is the same guide that I used to paint my case. I thought it was very thorough. The only part that I disagree with is sanding the clear coat starting with 600. My brother-in-law works for an automotive paint shop and he suggested starting out with at least 1000 and working your way up from there. I agreee, I started with 600 after my first shot of clear and it took off a little more than what I would have wanted it to. Trust me, you'll be a guru of sanding once everything is said and done.

Thanks for the guide, makes it a lot easier to pull this off, and get a nice gloss finish on the bezels. I don't actually have a system in the case being worked on right now, so I've got lots of time to do the bezels, before the project will be finished.

I'll pick up the cans I need, and start sanding, once the second case I'll be using gets here, thanks.
:)

Back