• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to hook up car LCD as second monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

I am thinking about modding a car LCD into the side of my case, but I am not sure how to handle the connections.

Right now I have an ATI 9500n/p with a spare DVI connector and the TV out connector. My first thought would be to use the TV out connector, but it is Svideo and most of the vehicular LCD's are RCA.

Any ideas how I can get this to work or where I can find a LCD with a Svideo input?

I guess the simplest solution is always the easiest :)

Now, any idea how I might be able to have this connection internal instead of having to loop the cable back into my case?

Solder a connection directly to your motherboard/videocard S-video out.. Basicly, make a jumper cable so you can take the secondary monitor off easily.

what you could do is, mount the RCA plugs on a spare PCI cover, and then run the RCA-Svideo adapter outside of the case.

that is an idea. What I am probably going to do is test it with a really old GF2 card I have lying around that has a tv out in it. That way if I mess it up, then it won't be on my nice card :)

actually the older card is a radeon 7000 or something like that but it still has a tv out that I am going to tinker with.

In case you all are wondering, I plan on installing the LCD in my case and have it show movies or slideshows or something while at LAN parties. Maybe even put MBM5 and some other monitoring stuff over there to show off. I can hardly wait.

I am waiting to see what some of these monitors from Ebay go for but right now I have my eye on a 7" that is about $60.

Back