• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Mak my FX-8350 and 8 core vs 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chomper

Registered
Hello I have an FX-8350 and was told that its an 8 core CPU. But when I now go into System information it pops up 4 cores 8 logical. At one point when I 1st got it, it said 8 core 8 logical. On another friends computer it says 8 core 8 logical as well. What happened to mine ? I went into the Bios and made sure all the unlocked core features are enabled. When I run benchmark tests on Valley for example it says X4 not X8.

Be most freeken nice to know what O/S you have in use and pretty good ID to give us a heads-up on the mobo in use. I mean for real info back at choo.
RGone...ster.

Hmm, because they are yes technically 8 cores but in reality 4. Not to be confused with fake hyperthreading, AMD simply puts two FPUs per core so yes technically its 8.

Run benchmarks if you score ok then your good to go.. Try cinebench 11.5 it maxes out all cores if you score around 6.9 at defaults then your all good. Thats what an 8350 should score

I'm Running Windows 7 Home premium Service pack 1. MOBO Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD5. original specs 1.jpg

This is a Screen shot of my old CPU FX 8120 it said 8 core 8 logical as well as my 8350 did at one point then changed just afew weeks later. never did take a screen shot of the 8350 saying 8 core 8 logical but I know it was there.

It's 4 modules with 2 logical units each. Regardless how it's called, most important is how it works and with latest system patches it's scalling pretty good with all 8 threads.

Because of shared resources in the architecture, the FX CPUs will be reported by some software as having 8 cores and by others as 4 cores. It depends on how the reporting software defines a core. If you run Prime95 or Cinebench the FX 8xxx CPUs will show as eight cores but in reality what is being shown is eight "workers".

Back