• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make sure 2TB Western Digital is good for Windows XP + pick the best one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All right, I feel we're really getting somewhere now.

So for a dual Win7/WinXP system using Advanced Format drive for backing up files (not OS) onto a single partition, you would recommend:

1. Place jumper on pins 7-8
2. Boot into Windows XP (not Win7) and format

Correct?

That's what I'd do if I were sure I'd never want to use the disk differently from what you describe. Otherwise, I'd tweak it manually as I previously explained (just to avoid the possibility that I'd forget to remove the jumper later under circumstances when its presence would be counterproductive).

I am assuming Seagates's SmartAlign technology is the equivalent to WD Advanced Format? In this paper they appear to be saying that nothing should be done when using Windows XP and SmartAlign?
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/en-GB/whitepaper/mb6101_smartalign_technology_faq.pdf

Does it make a difference where SmartAlign drives should be formatted, under Win7 or WinXP?

Advanced format is advanced format, period: a 4 KB sector disk. SmartAlign is allegedly Seagate's solution for sub-optimal alignment on 4 KB sector drives with old-style partitioning, which they contrast with WD's alignment software and jumper.

Their claims about SmartAlign sound like snake oil to me. In particular, the statement "The result for customers using SmartAlign technology is a hard drive that behaves just like legacy 512-byte sector hard drives" is patently false, since it is physically impossible to avoid read/modify/write sequences for the partial 4 KB sector updates required when writing smaller (512-byte-sector-aligned) requests and/or misaligned 4 KB requests and such sequences WILL (in the absence of a special auxiliary write head trailing the read head by enough to allow a near-instantaneous write, which would be virtually impossible to align correctly - it's failed on disks far less dense than current ones - and even if created would significantly increase the disk price) require an additional disk revolution to complete compared with a "legacy 512-byte sector hard drive" unless the balance of the 4 KB sector happened to be cached at the disk (which they have absolutely no way of guaranteeing).

They are uncharacteristically coy about how they might achieve the results they claim even for COMMON (let alone ALL) situations - so coy that I could not find one technical explanation in the first 100 Google hits I got, just regurgitation of the marketing material.

I frankly just don't believe their claims, and suspect it's far more likely that they're simply counting on the fact that small-write workloads are relatively rare and that most people therefore won't notice the potential degradation of misalignment very much. Had they provided in their marketing material the relative performance of their offering properly aligned that would have significantly helped confirm or deny that hypothesis - but they didn't.

I'd actually love to be proven wrong about this: there just aren't all that many technical tricks relating to storage that seem so close to magic to me. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

Thank you for your insight. Before I forget, should I reformat all my drives [SSD and mechanical] under WinXP on the off-chance I may have formatted them in Windows 7, since I have switched back to using Windows XP to more than 50% of the time now?

Back to topic: Twekaing is better but considerably more complicated then PIN + format in Windows XP [or in DOS if WinXP is not already installed.] I plan on making detailed step by step instructions on tweaking a 4 year old can follow it but I want to get the other basics established first, hopefully with your help:

Staying with WD for a moment - obviously for two partitions or more, pin is no longer the option. Instead, WD Advanced Format Hard Drive Utility is the only other option aside from tweaks. Do you see a downside to using the WD utility which I assume would be simpler than tweaking?

Regarding Seagate's SmartAlign: so you can confirm there is no jumper/software equivalent for Seagate? And so what to do with SmartAlign and Windows XP? Just leave it be and, what, reformat every year or two under Windows XP?

I don't know what Samsung is doing. I assume they have their own equivalent technology? I own a 1TB Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ Samsung but they have taken it off of their web site so I wonder if it uses Samsung's equivalent technology, if they have one.

Thank you for your insight. Before I forget, should I reformat all my drives [SSD and mechanical] under WinXP on the off-chance I may have formatted them in Windows 7, since I have switched back to using Windows XP to more than 50% of the time now?

As I said originally, the main threat to the safety of your data is mixing use of both old and new partitioning layouts on the same drive.

Formating is different from partitioning. If you formated an NTFS file system using Win7 and then installed XP on that partition without reformating it then either XP worked (which is what I'd expect) or it most likely didn't work at all.

As a general rule I'd be inclined to format a boot partition using the operating system that will reside in it, but in most cases if the OS is not happy with what it finds when you ask it to install itself in an already-formated partition it will demand to reformat it.

Staying with WD for a moment - obviously for two partitions or more, pin is no longer the option. Instead, WD Advanced Format Hard Drive Utility is the only other option aside from tweaks. Do you see a downside to using the WD utility which I assume would be simpler than tweaking?

As I already noted, the potential downside is that the WD utility may be using atypical mechanisms for achieving partition alignment that might destructively confuse other traditional partitioning software. You could test this by running the WD software on a drive partitioned traditionally and then using a partition manager to examine the start and end locations of the newly-moved partitions that result: if they're all on logical cylinder boundaries (integral multiples of 16065 traditional sectors, plus 63 sectors for a primary partition at the start of the disk and any logical partition), then it's doing exactly what I described for manual tweaking; if not, then it's doing something not necessarily illegal but at least a bit unusual. (That's for NTFS partitions: the WD utility may or may not be sufficiently suave to align FAT partitions optimally. Also, since partitioning - and possibly also the WD - software often determines the logical disk geometry from the BIOS of the system on which it's running, in rare cases - old IBM Thinkpads being one example - the size of a logical cylinder may differ from 16065.)

Regarding Seagate's SmartAlign: so you can confirm there is no jumper/software equivalent for Seagate?

I know nothing about Seagate Advanced Format drives save what I just read in the marketing link that you provided.

And so what to do with SmartAlign and Windows XP? Just leave it be and, what, reformat every year or two under Windows XP?

If I were using an Advanced Format Seagate drive I'd treat it EXACTLY the same way as I would any other Advanced Format drive unless I had run tests that verified that SmartAlign actually did what it claims to do.

I don't know what Samsung is doing. I assume they have their own equivalent technology?

Yes.

I own a 1TB Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ Samsung but they have taken it off of their web site so I wonder if it uses Samsung's equivalent technology, if they have one.

It does not. AFAIK only their F4 drives are Advanced Format drives (and I don't know that even all of them are).

Thank you for your patience. My understanding of what you are saying is that regardless of brand and specific technology used, the best way to approach this is to correctly partition the drive and as long as you never re-partition the drive again using means and methods other than the ones used initially to correctly partition it - all will be well with Windows XP. Is that correct?

If it is - does that not directly contradict the earlier notions that Advanced Format is a change in the platter geometry which has nothing to do with Offsets? Are offsets not associated with partitioning?

On my SSD, Win 7 and Win XP are installed and all appears to be well so I understand there's nothing to check there. I do have the (single partition) SmartAlign Seagates. Is there anything you recommend I do or check at this time as they are used by both Win7 and WinXP?

So now reading back your suggestions, you seem to be saying that the way to go is to create 62 MB initial partition, then create others, then delete the initial 62 MB partition.

1. Windows 7 Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management > Scroll down to the Disk and Right click on it > Delete Volume... >

2. Right click > New Simple Volume > Next > 62 > Next > Next > Next >

3. Create New Simple Volumes on the remaining space on the drive then right click on the initial 62MB partition > Delete Volume... > Yes

So is 62 the number to enter there? Should I reformat SmartAlign Seagates like that as well as Advanced Format Western Digitals and then not worry about either pins or WD Utilities?

My understanding of what you are saying is that regardless of brand and specific technology used, the best way to approach this is to correctly partition the drive and as long as you never re-partition the drive again using means and methods other than the ones used initially to correctly partition it - all will be well with Windows XP. Is that correct?

Should be - though to get optimal write performance out of XP on an Advanced Format drive you'll still have to get the partitions aligned appropriately.

If it is - does that not directly contradict the earlier notions that Advanced Format is a change in the platter geometry which has nothing to do with Offsets? Are offsets not associated with partitioning?

My acquaintance with flash drives is quite limited, but my impression is that the reason to use an 'offset' when partitioning them is virtually identical to that for setting up appropriately-aligned partitions on a 4 KB sector drive used with 512-byte-granularity access emulation with an operating system that typically accesses the drive in chunks which are a multiple of 4 KB in size (though flash has an additional bulk-erase granularity far coarser than 4 KB to contend with as well). In both cases the goal is to minimize the number of sectors affected by a typical write operation; for a rotating disk, an additional goal is to avoid the need to read a sector before writing it because it is only being partially written (with flash, a read is sufficiently fast compared to a write that having to read it first has far less impact upon performance).

On my SSD, Win 7 and Win XP are installed and all appears to be well so I understand there's nothing to check there.

See previous comment above. Even if the partition alignment is sub-optimal it may well not affect performance on an SSD noticeably (though could increase the frequency of required bulk erase operations, decreasing the drive's lifetime - though even there perhaps not by any significant amount) - but if you aligned the drive's partitions according to normal SSD recommendations the alignment should be optimal.

I do have the (single partition) SmartAlign Seagates. Is there anything you recommend I do or check at this time as they are used by both Win7 and WinXP?

Aside from abiding by your first point above, my only comment is to repeat that I'd treat those disks exactly as I'd treat any other Advance Format drives and not trust SmartAlign to optimize performance without having to worry about alignment. If you partition them with Win7 the alignment should be fine for both systems; if you partition them using XP, adjust the alignment appropriately.

By the way, when you access a partition with XP it will (unless Microsoft has patched this, which I haven't heard that they've done) delete any System Restore information created on that partition by Vista or Win7 (they use a newer format for restore points that XP doesn't understand and considers trash). Just one more minor wrinkle associated with sharing partitions between the new and older Microsoft systems (though one not related to disk geometry).

So now reading back your suggestions, you seem to be saying that the way to go is to create 62 MB initial partition, then create others, then delete the initial 62 MB partition.

No: that will correctly align ONLY the partition that you create immediately after the dummy, and only (though with very high probability) if your system BIOS considers 16065 to be the number of 512-byte sectors in a logical disk cylinder. To be safe, you should always verify that the alignment is what it should be afterward, if only because different partitioning utilities may present size information slightly differently (hence '62 MB' on one may not be the same size as '62 MB' on another - e.g., one might be 62,000 KiB, another might be 62,000,000 bytes, a third might be 62 MiB...).

Furthermore, this will only create a single optimally-aligned old-style primary partition if you use an old-style partition manager (i.e., NOT Win7 as you describe later) to do the job. Sorry if that context was not clear in the original explanation.

Finally, all this applies only to MBR- (rather than GPT-) partitioned drives, since GPT-partitioned drives have a different structure (hence different tweaks to get partitions optimally aligned).

Edit:

If you're happy with never using old-style partitioning utilities (including those in XP Disk Management, unless you patch XP to honor the new layout) to modify the partitions on your disks, just partition the disks using Win7, which should align them optimally (save perhaps for FAT partitions). I play around with partitions in enough different environments that I'm not willing to put up with such a limitation, but many people would likely have no objection at all to it.

The original discussion back at slickdeals where you originally posed the question seemed to be about how to use the new Advanced Format disks optimally with older systems, which, at least to me, implies using them with traditional partitioning software. If you're content to maintain the partitions only using the new partitioning layouts (rather than want to modify them in the older environments), the focus is quite different and the solution is far simpler.

Last edited:
Since most manufacturers do not use pins or software to correctly set up hard drives for use under Windows XP, I believe we have established that correctly manually setting them up is the best way to start using modern hard drives with Advanced Format Technology.

The purpose of this thread is to post clear and concise steps of doing so. I will now re-read your posts and give it another go since simply creating an initial dummy 62MB partition then deleting it was not the way to go although it did appear so when the posts were read by someone not as proficient in hard drive structure.

Let's start from square 1: I understand Windows XP and/or Windows 7 cannot set up a partition to start on a 4 KB disk boundary so you recommend EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware.

So now what, insert a 4KB cluster? Fat32 Cluster?

Last edited:
I understand Windows XP and/or Windows 7 cannot set up a partition to start on a 4 KB disk boundary so you recommend EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware.

I don't wish to be rude, but the fact that you can make the above statement at this point makes me seriously question whether continuing this discussion would achieve anything at all.

I suggest that you CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY reread what's already been said: everything you need to know is in there and much has been restated several times. Some of the concepts are complex (and probably not necessary for you to understand to achieve what you want with your disks), some are very simple (and very simply stated) and probably will satisfy your goals (unless those goals include creating a clear and complete exploration of this issue for general consumption, which is by definition not simple to do).

Well don't get upset, I think that the amount of information was overwhelming and really all I am trying to do is set it up and then write it up so that everyone can understand how to do it. Eventually I will figure it out, I just hope you can help me.

I installed the freeware and am using an external 80 GB drive to test things. Here's what I am looking at, if I can just figure out what numbers to punch in where, maybe the how-to knowledge can be transferred from you down to the less experienced.

Attachments

• CreatePartition.jpg
    CreatePartition.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Well don't get upset

I'm not upset.

I installed the freeware and am using an external 80 GB drive to test things.

You've still got the cart before the horse. You don't NEED the freeware - it was only mentioned once, specifically in regard to how to align FAT partitions correctly.

You need to go back and read more carefully what's already been said, rather than try to continue from where you are now.

Last edited:
OK. I will abandon the freeware approach and re-read to start elsewhere.

I just wanted to say that overclockers forum is a place unlike anywhere else, I tried to do my share and help others with things I do understand and I took my time in thousands of posts, sometimes using a different approach when dealing with people who are less knowledgeable on subjects I do understand.

discussion seemed to be about how to use the new Advanced Format disks optimally with older systems, which, at least to me, implies using them with traditional partitioning software. If you're content to maintain the partitions only using the new partitioning layouts (rather than want to modify them in the older environments), the focus is quite different and the solution is far simpler.

First of all, Windows XP is still officially supported by Microsoft. More people use Windows XP than anything else and imho Windows XP will not die off as quickly as Windows 95 did. Large number of people will continue to use it even after Microsoft stops updating it. But it is still an officially supported operating system today. Second, the topic is how to setup modern drives for storage and then not mess with repartitioning them again. To set them up to be used as storage, nothing else. So there seems to be a potential for a fundamental misunderstanding of what we are talking about here.

For one partition, if it is WD, stick a pin in and format in WinXP and go use the partition by both Win7 & WinXP.

Objective now is to figure out how to set up partition(s) on a non WD drive if it is an Advanced Format hard drive. I understand we need to get the partition(s) aligned appropriately to set the drive up for use as storage (not a system partition) to be accessed by both Windows XP and Windows 7, correct?

Once again, just to set up for storage - not to set up to be repartitioned later or for use with FAT32 or for anything other than for storing files accessed by both WinXp & Win7.

So weeding out information not specifically pertaining to that goal and correct me if I'm wrong, here's what we have from you:

tweak it manually to make the partitions start on appropriate boundaries. For NTFS using 4 KB or larger clusters... just making the partition start on a 4 KB disk boundary should work fine
you can define a dummy primary partition of about 62 MB at the disk's start to make the NEXT primary partition start at such a boundary, then delete the dummy.
That leaves a couple of safe options:
1. Use ONLY Vista/Win7/updated third-party tools (or the patched XP described above) to affect the partition layout on the disk.

2. Use ONLY traditional tools to affect the partition layout on the disk (you can adjust Win7 and Vista registries to honor the old layout style if you want to be able to use them as well).

Hints as to how to achieve this may also be found in a post:

...using a partition manager to examine the start and end locations of the newly-moved partitions that result: if they're all on logical cylinder boundaries (integral multiples of 16065 traditional sectors, plus 63 sectors for a primary partition at the start of the disk and any logical partition), then it's doing exactly what I described for manual tweaking;

Last edited:
So now (if I may): your assumption that most people fully know how to achieve what the above quoted text is referring to... without additional guidance... is incorrect.

Can you help us by posting how to do it?

So now (if I may): your assumption that most people fully know how to achieve what the above quoted text is referring to... without additional guidance... is incorrect.

Can you help us by posting how to do it?

I already did, in several instances more than once. Perhaps it was difficult to assimilate because it didn't fit your preconceptions of how it 'should' work.

I explained how traditional partitioning software aligns partition start and end locations on logical cylinder boundaries, what the logical cylinder size virtually always is (16065 logical 512-byte sectors), how the start locations of a primary partition at the very start of the disk and any logical partition are exceptions and actually begin one logical track later (said logical track virtually always being 63 logical 512-byte sectors in size), and how to use temporary dummy partitions if necessary to adjust the start points of the partitions you actually want.

That's the information you need to figure out how to get traditional NTFS-formated partitions to begin on 4 KB (8 logical 512-byte sector) disk boundaries and avoid the need for read/modify/write operations in virtually all (likely literally all) cases (as long as the NTFS cluster size is an integral multiple of 4 KB, which it should always be by default unless the partition began life as FAT and was subsequently converted to NTFS). Such alignment is suitable not only for storage use but for (e.g.) an XP system partition as well. If you want to align FAT partitions optimally on Advanced Format drives you need an additional piece of information (the offset of the first data sector from the partition start point, so that you can arrange for the first data sector to start at a 4 KB disk boundary), and I explained how to get that using EASEUS Partition Master.

I gave you an example of how to get started by observing that a 62 MB dummy partition using traditional tools was what needed to precede the first primary partition on an Advanced Format disk to align its start on a 4 KB disk boundary. 62 MB, rounded up to the next logical cylinder boundary, is 8 logical cylinders - the minimum number required to get to a start point which is an integral multiple of 8 logical 512-byte sectors (since the logical cylinder size is an odd number of logical sectors and you can't start at the very beginning of the disk because of the MBR logical track).

I warned you about mixing use of traditional-style partition layout with the new layout but observed that if you avoided that and used ONLY the new layout then you could simply use Win7 in its default configuration to partition your Advanced Format disks and they'd work just fine for NTFS-formated partitions for earlier Windows systems (though whether Win7 optimizes FAT layout for Advanced Format disks I don't know: even if it does you'd have to format as well as create the FAT partition in Win7).

You seem to want to have a simple cookbook that can be blindly followed without in any way understanding why you're doing so. Unfortunately, if you want a partitioning layout on an Advanced Format disk that's guaranteed compatible with traditional partitioning tools there is no such simple cookbook: what kind of dummy partition padding you may need to get partitions where they need to be is determined by how you want to partition the disk - which partitions are primary and which are logical, how large they are (which determines their end-points and whether a dummy filler is required to make the next partition start-point appropriately aligned, though if the preceding partition can tolerate being larger you can usually just adjust its end point appropriately), whether a partition is FAT (which can be an exception to the previous observation, since making it larger could affect its first-data-sector offset), etc.

In other words, while none of this is rocket science or brain surgery you've got to understand it at least a little if you want to achieve optimal performance with older systems AND continue to use traditional (older) partitioning utilities (rather than just use only Vista/Win7 and up-to-date third-party utilities to create disk partition layouts from scratch, since they - with the possible exception of FAT partitions - should lay out partitions optimally for ALL systems as long as you never subsequently modify that layout using older tools).

Since I almost never use Microsoft tools to partition disks I had forgotten that they don't provide the specific start-sector and end-sector partition information that would allow you to verify that NTFS partitions wound up where you wanted them to be. But the third-party partition managers I'm familiar with do (Paragon Partition Manager, EASEUS, gparted, even venerable Partition Magic) - though most don't provide the first-data-sector offset for FAT partitions. And I failed to specify explicitly that sectors are counted starting with zero (though that would have become obvious as soon as you examined the disk and found that a primary partition at its start began with sector 63).

The bottom line of all this is that Advanced Format disks that emulate 512-byte sectors are eminently usable for XP and Win2K, even for XP and Win2K system partitions, without requiring any special new tools and without sacrificing any performance - IF you understand how. Or, if you won't need to use traditional partitioning tools on an Advanced Format disk and have access to a Win7/Vista system, you can just partition the disk with Win7/Vista in its default configuration and get optimal performance (save perhaps for FAT partitions). Or you can put your trust in vendor-specific solutions that claim to address the issue (though for the reasons already mentioned I probably wouldn't).

That's my last shot at explaining this. If it doesn't make sense it may be because you need an even more basic primer about disk layout, but that's outside the scope of this particular discussion.

I already did, in several instances more than once. Perhaps it was difficult to assimilate because it didn't fit your preconceptions of how it 'should' work.

I explained how traditional partitioning software aligns partition start and end locations on logical cylinder boundaries, what the logical cylinder size virtually always is (16065 logical 512-byte sectors), how the start locations of a primary partition at the very start of the disk and any logical partition are exceptions and actually begin one logical track later (said logical track virtually always being 63 logical 512-byte sectors in size), and how to use temporary dummy partitions if necessary to adjust the start points of the partitions you actually want.

That's the information you need to figure out how to get traditional NTFS-formated partitions to begin on 4 KB (8 logical 512-byte sector) disk boundaries and avoid the need for read/modify/write operations in virtually all (likely literally all) cases (as long as the NTFS cluster size is an integral multiple of 4 KB, which it should always be by default unless the partition began life as FAT and was subsequently converted to NTFS). Such alignment is suitable not only for storage use but for (e.g.) an XP system partition as well. If you want to align FAT partitions optimally on Advanced Format drives you need an additional piece of information (the offset of the first data sector from the partition start point, so that you can arrange for the first data sector to start at a 4 KB disk boundary), and I explained how to get that using EASEUS Partition Master.

I gave you an example of how to get started by observing that a 62 MB dummy partition using traditional tools was what needed to precede the first primary partition on an Advanced Format disk to align its start on a 4 KB disk boundary. 62 MB, rounded up to the next logical cylinder boundary, is 8 logical cylinders - the minimum number required to get to a start point which is an integral multiple of 8 logical 512-byte sectors (since the logical cylinder size is an odd number of logical sectors and you can't start at the very beginning of the disk because of the MBR logical track).

I warned you about mixing use of traditional-style partition layout with the new layout but observed that if you avoided that and used ONLY the new layout then you could simply use Win7 in its default configuration to partition your Advanced Format disks and they'd work just fine for NTFS-formated partitions for earlier Windows systems (though whether Win7 optimizes FAT layout for Advanced Format disks I don't know: even if it does you'd have to format as well as create the FAT partition in Win7).

You seem to want to have a simple cookbook that can be blindly followed without in any way understanding why you're doing so. Unfortunately, if you want a partitioning layout on an Advanced Format disk that's guaranteed compatible with traditional partitioning tools there is no such simple cookbook: what kind of dummy partition padding you may need to get partitions where they need to be is determined by how you want to partition the disk - which partitions are primary and which are logical, how large they are (which determines their end-points and whether a dummy filler is required to make the next partition start-point appropriately aligned, though if the preceding partition can tolerate being larger you can usually just adjust its end point appropriately), whether a partition is FAT (which can be an exception to the previous observation, since making it larger could affect its first-data-sector offset), etc.

In other words, while none of this is rocket science or brain surgery you've got to understand it at least a little if you want to achieve optimal performance with older systems AND continue to use traditional (older) partitioning utilities (rather than just use only Vista/Win7 and up-to-date third-party utilities to create disk partition layouts from scratch, since they - with the possible exception of FAT partitions - should lay out partitions optimally for ALL systems as long as you never subsequently modify that layout using older tools).

Since I almost never use Microsoft tools to partition disks I had forgotten that they don't provide the specific start-sector and end-sector partition information that would allow you to verify that NTFS partitions wound up where you wanted them to be. But the third-party partition managers I'm familiar with do (Paragon Partition Manager, EASEUS, gparted, even venerable Partition Magic) - though most don't provide the first-data-sector offset for FAT partitions. And I failed to specify explicitly that sectors are counted starting with zero (though that would have become obvious as soon as you examined the disk and found that a primary partition at its start began with sector 63).

The bottom line of all this is that Advanced Format disks that emulate 512-byte sectors are eminently usable for XP and Win2K, even for XP and Win2K system partitions, without requiring any special new tools and without sacrificing any performance - IF you understand how. Or, if you won't need to use traditional partitioning tools on an Advanced Format disk and have access to a Win7/Vista system, you can just partition the disk with Win7/Vista in its default configuration and get optimal performance (save perhaps for FAT partitions). Or you can put your trust in vendor-specific solutions that claim to address the issue (though for the reasons already mentioned I probably wouldn't).

That's my last shot at explaining this. If it doesn't make sense it may be because you need an even more basic primer about disk layout, but that's outside the scope of this particular discussion.

This is greatly appreciated information. Thanks for sharing and :welcome: to the forums - bill.

:rolleyes:

If I were on the other side of this I would remind myself that the other person doesn't necessarily need to know the inner workings of the internal combustion engine to be able to drive a car, if you get the metaphor, because here is how it is applicable here, if someone else now asked me:
How should a single partition Western Digital drive with Advanced Format Technology be used on a multi boot system on which Windows XP is already installed?

I would answer:
Use jumper pins 7-8 and format the drive under Windows XP using default NTFS settings.

Please don't take offense but the other option, the option of a 1000 word response which includes the size of a logical cylinder of an old IBM Thinkpad would be more appropriate as part of a doctoral dissertation or a highly technical discussion among peers intimately familiar with history of hard drives.

Last edited:
The question is:

To start using a single partition modern hard drive with Advanced Format Technology for backing up files using both Windows 7 and Windows XP on a modern i7 computer system, what should be done?

The simple answer would mention which OS should format it and which specific application (Windows or not) should be used to do anything else to only perform what the question asks.

The goal is to answer that question - which does not ask about FAT or repartitioning the drive later or performing anything else other than simply using a a single partition to back up files under both Win7 & WinXP. Can I at least get that even if it was already answered above?

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Back