• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to OC 4790K & Maximus VII Hero to 4.6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mostly...

Read ATM's and my first post... You need to STRESS TEST IT to make sure its stable and temperatures are in order. We also said under 90C.

(the guides tell you how to do all this stuff. I know you are looking for cookie cutter settings, but, it really doesn't work that way. Also, know what and how you are doing things will help you in the long run... you know... "Give a man a fish he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish he eats for a lifetime".

That voltage was just a ball park, you may need more or less and only stability testing will tell you which way to go.

Good, but just to be on the safe side, have to ask whether 1.350v in "CPU Core Voltage Override" is the same as 1.35v?

That is basic math friend. Yes it is.

1.35 is the same as 1.350, 1.3500, 1.35000, 1.350000...etc...

You'll want to set "4-Core Ratio Limit". This will tell it "use this multiplier when 4 cores or less are loaded"

You'll want to set "4-Core Ratio Limit". This will tell it "use this multiplier when 4 cores or less are loaded"

Not sure what you mean by that. The "4-Core Ratio Limit" is automatically set to "46" when I changed the first core to 46. Saved and got 4.6 in Windows, with stable, low temp at idle. No stress test yet, but shall now try the Intel XTU.

Yoho! Did the stress test with Intel XTU and passed, got the green light with highest temp of a few 83c during the last half minute, but mostly around 76c during the last 1 minute. So guess I can play games this evening, and postpone vipassana meditation until tomorrow. Cool! :)

Tnx!

Getting a working overclock and playing some games sounds way better than meditation to me :p

Now... if this works with your gaming session tonight... try lowering the voltage some .025 and stress test again. Rinse and repeat until you find the lowest stable voltage for your needs.

Games run fine, but when having fans on low, with AI suit, I noticed that after a half hour or so temps get gradually up to 73c. Read somewhere that Intel recommends no higher than 72c. Is that correct? Or is it safe to play games at everything below 80c?

And yes, games are much more entertaining than meditation, but also more shallow. On the other hand, the good old German Nietzsche said that one has to be deep to appreciate the superficial. Anyway, enough philosophy. Great forum!

Using Noctua NH-U14S and Liquid Pro between the heat spreader and the dye, and AS5 between the HS and the cooler. Vcore offset +0.225, multiplier 48, cache min 40 and cache max 44. Max temp in XTU is 88 degrees in core 2, and 79 on core 4 with automatic cooler speed, while idle temps are 30 with low fan speed. The Intel HD 4600 graphics is at +0.433 V offset and multiplier 18. I also have the Corsair Dominator 2000 12 Gb under the Airflow cooler. If I increase Vcore to +0.260, the temps go to 92 in XTU.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I assume you're using the iGPU ? Just wondered why the extra voltage for it?

Because from 17.5 the GPU needed +0.348, which is 0.085 V per step 0.5 multiplier on average from 12 to 17.5. I got this info actually from this same thread ;) So I put the average +0.085 to 0.433 at 18, but 18.5 didn´t work with any voltage anymore.

Mostly just curious as to why the OC on the iGPU. Are you gaming?

I see, just figured you could save a bit of thermal headroom if you didn't "need" the extra speed from the iGPU

Back