• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to OC Corsair Vengeance 1600 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tfreitas

Registered
Noob here, so let just get that out in the open. LOL !
I just started OC'ing my system (see sig for specs) and wanted to know about OCing my memory, or if I even should as my system temps are near max after running Prime (blend) for 3 hrs, but it passes with no errors.

I contacted Corsair about what voltages I could run my memory at and was told 1.65v ( currently at 1.5 ), but they didn't mention anything about the timings and the link they gave me didn't work.

Suggestions on how to go about this?

Attachments

• cpu-z - cpu at 4.2.jpg
    cpu-z - cpu at 4.2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 147
  • cpu-z - memory at 4.2.jpg
    cpu-z - memory at 4.2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 146
  • cpu-z - SPD at 4.2.jpg
    cpu-z - SPD at 4.2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 147
  • HWMonitor at 4.2 with P95 blend.jpg
    HWMonitor at 4.2 with P95 blend.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 148
Memory overclocking doesn't really yield any real-world improvements in games, startup times, or anything else other than benchmarks. So I would not recommend overclocking if you are doing it for that reason.

If you're just doing it for fun, then the best way to do it is to go into your BIOS, go to your memory settings, and start increasing the clock speed in small increments. Every time you increase it, check your stability with memtest or some other application. Once memtest fails, go back to the last stable configuration. If you want to increase memory speed further, you can try to decrease your RAM timings, again checking with memtest, or increase voltage. After you've found a stable configuration that you are okay with, then run memtest overnight to make double sure. Congratulations, you've overclocked your memory now.

I also have the same memory but am not looking to overclock right now. Currently running the mem at 1466Mhz. When I try to run the memory at the next fastest preset my pc will not boot. Should i even try to change speed in BIOS? Will i see any increase in speed? Thanks.

I don't think you can make much higher clock on this memory and AMD setup but you can try something like 1800/1866 9-10-9-28 , 9-11-10, 10-10-10-28, 10-11-10-28 1.65V , tRFC 160 or 300.
However higher performance difference you will see overclocking CPU-NB clock. Try to set it to ~2500 and you will see much better memory bandwidth than from overclocking memory. It's because memory controller is really slow and it's limiting memory bandwidth.

Back